Megalodoras Uranoscopus

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
I've researched this fish for some time now, but see varying results on final tank sizes and growth rates of this fish. I've heard it grows agonisingly slowly, but can't find any data on final size and tank size.

I'm not going to get one until I can house it properly, so, any ideas?

I appreciate that, and I've researched this fish thoroughly, what I'm looking for however, are first hand attempts from people who have actually kept them, or at the very least know someone who has.

Going on other fish in the Family Doradidae I would say growth is very slow for a catfish. I would be surprised to see an inch per year after it hits 12".

Try Paul_MTS, I know he had a couple and had one last a fair while (may even still have it) but i know most of the Doradids are amazingly slow growers with Platydoras costatus taking 5-8 years to get to 5" which is half its max size.

They grow very very very slowly, i had one which i put into a tank and presumed it had died as i never saw it again until 3 years later when it had grown maybe 2 inches.

See, that almosts tempts me to get one with my fahaka. I've only got a 5x2x2, but I've seen them offered as small as 7".

Most reactions

Back