Mbuna With Catfish?

fishfreak1984

Reaction score
I have recently purchased 2 synodontis schoutedeni. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of keeping these fish with african cichlids (namely mbuna)? Are they compatible with cichlids? If not I will rehome.

NB. My tank currently only has the 2 catfish.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

I have recently purchased 2 synodontis schoutedeni. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of keeping these fish with african cichlids (namely mbuna)? Are they compatible with cichlids? If not I will rehome.

NB. My tank currently only has the 2 catfish.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

well Synodontis and malawi cichlids have lived together in the wild for hundreds of years so i think it should be ok :good:

I also have 1 synodontis and 2 bristlenose with my cichlids and all get on perfectly well :good:

Hi Danon and Davo

Cheers for your experiences. I'm so glad you were sucessful with this combination.

I never thought I would like catfish - but they are actually really interesting to watch. I might even get some cukcoo catfish too!!!

I'm going to wait a few weeks before I get my cichlids (waiting for the LFS to stock my wish list).

Cheers

I have small featherfin that doesnt get bothered at all by his quite larger mates

i have 2 very fast growing plec's in my cichlid tank and they all get along well. if your catfish can stand the 8.2 8.3 ph as mine have somehow u should be fine. im guessing pleco's have quite a wide range in which they can survive ph wise?

I have a 2 1/2 year old Rhino Pleco that's 10 inches. He loves my cichlid tank.

Just another quick point, when i went to purchase my Bristlenose, my lfs would not sell them too me because they were not compatible with mbuna, mainly due to the high pH that mbuna require!!!!!!
After reading on this forum, i had to disagree with him.

Once again they get on great with the other fishes and are fun to watch, go for it :good:

Most reactions

Back