Maybe A Dumb Q...

taylors319

Reaction score
can different kinds of african cichlids breed? for example a snow white and a powder blue?? (sorry i don't know names :blush: )

From what ive read, it seems quite feasible that different species within a Genus can breed however i think that inter genus breeding is unknown. An example is the Auratus family: Melanchromis, the barring can lead to fish mistaking identity and interbreeding.

It is relatively rare with Mbuna but can and does happen with species from the same genus or with a similar appearance. It is easily avoided by ensuring you do not keep male/female combinations of similar species.

It can and DONT DO IT. Call me a tree hugger but when you start breeding different cichlids you get hybrids and no body knows what it is ect.... While this is no fact but i am sure somewhere it harms the fish in some shape or form for example tea cup dogs you know the little little dogs well thats not a natural breed therefore they get back promblems the dont live as long ect.....now you might be thinking well who cares i am having them for my own good but maybe so day you might want to sell them to a pet store and those fish will breed with the store and make hybrids and i am going to be the lucky one saying WOW what an awsome looking fish but theres only 2 or 3 and i want to have 1 male and 3 females But cant cause hybrid and wont be able to get a set of females for one male :sad:

Ok another example would be these "yellow Zebras" that i bought from petsmart me and another person wore stuck on saying that they were a pure breed Yellow lab without any black WELL WE WERE WRONG!!! :no: I have some fry that have grown up and they are turning and orange color rather than yellow like both parents. SOOOO how that applies to you is that the offspring that you'll get might look cool and everthing but when those offspring breed you wont have the same color and you'll reject them and sell to a pet store etc...etc

HAHAHAHAH by no means am i yelling at you nor am i mad so make a good choice okay? :nod:

Most reactions

Back