Maximum weight a concrete floor can take

KerriPaul

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am planning a set up with 1x 57 gallon tank on a wooden display cabinet with 2x 8 gallon tanks in the bottom part.

This gives approx 75 gallons equalling roughly 750 poundsa weight, say 800 pounds with cabinet weight. (area is approx 820 square inches)

I am planning to put it on the ground floor. My house is 1970's construction and has concrete floors.

Any idea if this weight is likely to cause problems [accepted no one is willing to give a definitive answer - a surveyor would be needed for that!]

It sounds like a lot of weight for a small area, but then concrete is tough.

If all your numbers are right, 800lb/820in2 = 0.97 psi. This is 0.006894757 MPa, and most concrete is typically designed for 20 - 25 MPa strength, provided you haven't placed the tank in the centre of an enormously unsupported section of floor, you should be fine. It will really depend on the slab thickness, its shape and where you place the tank.

also im guessing myself it should be ok on the ground floor... but im a kid and dont know much :p but i do know that it will be spread out on a greater surface area so its not like 800 pounds in a one inch radious

toggle said:
also im guessing myself it should be ok on the ground floor... but im a kid and dont know much :p but i do know that it will be spread out on a greater surface area so its not like 800 pounds in a one inch radious
Well it also depends on......

Is it on a concrete slab? Is there a crawl space under the house? I'm assuming there isn't a basement.

Essentially I am pretty sure they laid the foundations, put the bricks on the foundations and then poured concrete into the hole up to ground floor level then a bout 1/2" screed with the carpet over that

The weight required to damage the structural stability of a non-suspended concrete slab is many, many times what you're planning. You're fine. Unless there are major and highly unlikely issues with your apartment, then what you're considering isn't a problem at all.

I'm not the exact specs of our floor but it was built in an extention about 10 years ago with a solid concrete floor up to latest regs and I have 220gallons on it, along with 50 kg of sand, 36kg of slate and about 15kg of wood. then theres' the stand and actual tank which aren't the lightest of things!!

Concrete floor will be fine they can take much heavier weight than that. you have to be more caustious like me when you have wooden floors.

and also when there upstairs!!

I'ved got a 90 gallon in my room (upstairs) thats also in the new extension part and checked with the builder first...my dad!!

Most reactions

Back