Maximizing filter space

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have marineland 350 filters on 2 of my tanks. Since the filter pads have burned out I am definitely not using those again. They get stretched and the carbon comes out. They block the flow and cause the wheels to stop spinning. For this reason, I bought a big block of aquarium sponge on amazon. I wish I would’ve never ever used those scammy filter cartridges that came with it but I’m not about to buy those again. How can I maximize the media space? I currently have fluval biomax in there atm but it is not taking up all the space. My question is: should I put the sponge at the bottom of the media basket and then the biomax at the top or vice versa?

IMHO, foam is a more mechanical filter so should be first to filter water of debris, ideally coarse to fine grades, then the biological media can feed without getting clogged. If you have multiple sponges like I said, you can rotate the cleaning of them over weeks which will keep the bacteria population higher.

IMHO, foam is a more mechanical filter so should be first to filter water of debris, ideally coarse to fine grades, then the biological media can feed without getting clogged. If you have multiple sponges like I said, you can rotate the cleaning of them over weeks which will keep the bacteria population higher.
Ok great. So sponge on the bottom and biomax on the top?

Cartridge HOB filters are marketing genius as there's real money in consumables!
I use Aquaclear 70 filters (I have 3) and they're all completely filled with sponge material. Some think sponge is only for mechanical filtration, when in fact it's also an excellent platform for beneficial biology... as evidenced by the success of sponge filters!
I became disenchanted with expensive bio-medias that promise more surface area and recommendations to replace half every other month or so...another marketing trap. Sponge works well, cleans easily, and lasts nearly forever.
However, if you want to use biomax (or any of the so called "bio-medias"), they should always be last in the filter water flow so they only see the cleanest water (as a detritus coating reduces their efficiency).

Cartridge HOB filters are marketing genius as there's real money in consumables!
I use Aquaclear 70 filters (I have 3) and they're all completely filled with sponge material. Some think sponge is only for mechanical filtration, when in fact it's also an excellent platform for beneficial biology... as evidenced by the success of sponge filters!
I became disenchanted with expensive bio-medias that promise more surface area and recommendations to replace half every other month or so...another marketing trap. Sponge works well, cleans easily, and lasts nearly forever.
However, if you want to use biomax (or any of the so called "bio-medias"), they should always be last in the filter water flow so they only see the cleanest water (as a detritus coating reduces their efficiency).
Ok so on the top then?

NO, I believe your filter draws water into the bottom and rises up to exit the top of the filter and turn the bio-wheels. So the bio-max should be after the sponge(s) and just before the bio-wheels.
Ok. I meant biomax on the top

Bio max on top. It'll also weigh your sponge down.

You can put a thin layer of filter floss for some awesome mechanical filtration between sponge and bio max

Most reactions

Back