Mating?

Gwar

Reaction score
Okay so I wave a cobalt blue cichlid. this fish dominates our setup and is always the first to claim every cave, and always chases anyone else away. Well i looked to day and my Electric Blue Johannii and blue cichlid are going in circles taking turns at rubbing on each others egg sacs. then the cobalt will release what looks like an egg and the johanni picks it up in its mouth. it seems as if its still holding the eggs still. I have so many questions i think it would be easier if someone just told me what was going on or gave me the proper links. I didnt expect this because the both have egg sacs. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the Your Metriaclima callainos 'Cobalt Blue' Is the dominant male and has inter bred with your female johanni. They would of been doing their mating ritual(courting) the female lays the eggs they rotate the male fertilises them, they rotate again and the female picks them up :good:

Souns like the Your Metriaclima callainos 'Cobalt Blue' Is the dominant male and has inter bred with your female johanni. They would of been doing their mating ritual(courting) the female lays the eggs they rotate the male fertilises them, they rotate again and the female picks them up :good:
that is what i thought bought the looked like the colbalt was laying eggs and the johanni picked them up

Souns like the Your Metriaclima callainos 'Cobalt Blue' Is the dominant male and has inter bred with your female johanni. They would of been doing their mating ritual(courting) the female lays the eggs they rotate the male fertilises them, they rotate again and the female picks them up :good:
that is what i thought bought the looked like the colbalt was laying eggs and the johanni picked them up

Has the johanni's (under the mouth) buccal cavity got larger if so then she will be carrying the eggs. That's the confusing thing sometimes it will look like the male has laid the egg with them rotating a lot but In actual fact it was the female, do you have any pics?? :). If this is her first time to she may go about the process a little oddly has she doesn't no what to do yet.

Has the johanni's (under the mouth) buccal cavity got larger if so then she will be carrying the eggs. That's the confusing thing sometimes it will look like the male has laid the egg with them rotating a lot but In actual fact it was the female, do you have any pics?? :). If this is her first time to she may go about the process a little oddly has she doesn't no what to do yet.
yea it does look larger working on pics an video. may not be until later today or tomorrow. can a male have egg sacs or what appear to be egg sacs. And what do I need to do to help them, or if you have a link.

p.s. This forum rocks. I appreciate the help

Its possible that they have bred, but i wouldnt get your hopes up aboutthe eggs being fertile, the two belong to two different genera so i dont even know if thays possible. The fish will often try.
Also you called your johanni an 'electric blue', the blue ones are the males. Orange are the females. Males wont pick up the brood so if your fish is blue then he may well be eating eggs, just cant fit em in his mouth haha

malawis will all cross breed hence so many hybrid fish in the hobby :no:

yea it does look larger working on pics an video. may not be until later today or tomorrow. can a male have egg sacs or what appear to be egg sacs. And what do I need to do to help them, or if you have a link.

jo.jpg

jo.jpg

elvis.jpg

Well they have definitely cross bred with each other and I think the holding female is a melanochromis maingano (looks a little similar to a johanni male) The male is the pseudotropheus socolofi. She might not hold the eggs full term as this could be her first time at holding, bur you dont want to keep the fry anyway as they will be hyrbids :good:

Most reactions

Back