marimo balls/zebra mussels

I always enjoy reading your thoughts on hunting. It is clear you have thought deeply about your actions and your position seems to be nuanced rather than dogmatic. Thanks for freely offering your thoughts here.
I personally would classify these wolves as an invasive (sub)species.
I'm not aware of any evidence the introduced wolves are distinct in any substantial way from those that were previously extirpated. Could you help me understand this? Any sources you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks, @OnlyGenusCaps . By the way, your username made me laugh. :lol:

It doesn't do to be dogmatic about some things. The world is constantly changing. I don't have any real sources about the wolves. I'm mostly just spouting off semi-founded opinions about that. :) I've read, in some accounts of early pioneers (exact sources escape me at the moment, sorry) that the wolves in the area were smaller, more solitary, and more inclined to feed on smaller animals than the wolves further north. They lived in small, family groups rather than larger packs, and they were very shy and quiet. A couple of old timers I know and trust insist that these smaller, quieter wolves were actually here all along, keeping a very low profile, often mistaken for coyotes at a distance, and that they only died out when the Canadian wolves moved in. I suspect these were the southern rockies/plains subspecies, not the northern rockies subspecies that was transplanted here.

I could be completely wrong about all that; it certainly isn't founded on anything like real science. But that's what I think probably happened. I'll have to do a bit of looking and see if I can dig up any reputable sources. I do a lot of reading, and I'm better at remembering ideas than sources.

Here's an interesting article about the different wolf subspecies. They are amazingly varied animals, almost as much as their domestic descendents.

It should be no surprise that wolves have quickly adapted to the new environment out west which includes large herds of overweight animals who just stand there (cattle).

In New York, we created the Adirondack Park which includes huge sections designated as forever wild. It is a magnificent home for animals such as deer but they seem to prefer western New York with large open fields of corn, apples along Lake Ontario and the suburbs with tasty plants everywhere. I made a peace treaty with the deer after they mowed down 100's of Hostas, I will no longer plant deer food in my garden, they will stay out of my yard.

Note: another 'invasive' species is coming to New York, the hybrid Coywolf from Canada. There are some claims that it will become the apex predator (second to humans) in eastern USA. This may be a positive development unless you allow your cat to roam at night. Now if Coywolves learn to hunt deer, good eating for them!

Hi Guys,
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.
A few weeks ago I ordered some Marino Balls from wish and then a few days ago a YouTuber I follow posted a video about the zebra muscles. I live in Australia but the balls came off wish so who knows where they came from. They came in the mail today and I'm a bit sceptical about putting them in my tank. I've soaked them in vinegar for 20mins to "destroy them" and the actual ball doesn't seem to be harmed. Are they safe to put in my tank now?

Hi Guys,
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party.
A few weeks ago I ordered some Marino Balls from wish and then a few days ago a YouTuber I follow posted a video about the zebra muscles. I live in Australia but the balls came off wish so who knows where they came from. They came in the mail today and I'm a bit sceptical about putting them in my tank. I've soaked them in vinegar for 20mins to "destroy them" and the actual ball doesn't seem to be harmed. Are they safe to put in my tank now?
I'm surprised you're still able to get them. They have disappeared around here. According to this, a 20 minute vinegar soak kills the mussels, so you should be OK. I would keep a close eye on it, first to make sure there are no baby mussels growing (and if there are, you'll have to tear down and sanitize your entire tank), and second to make sure the algae ball is really still alive and growing; otherwise it will rot and foul your tank.

I think I would keep the balls in a separate container until I knew for sure there are no zebra mussels left alive. If there were, it would mean only that container is affected not a tank full of fish. It would also keep the tank safe from a possible dead and rotting ball.

Most reactions

Back