Marginal plants and roots

Deeznuts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Evening from the U.K. I built a marginal corner pond for my mum with a liner that I had used previously for a koi pond before I upgraded it.

The liner had no leaks in it at the time.

I used soil throughout the middle and planted a couple of iris and a few other plants that I can’t recall the name off.

See below:
IMG_1364.jpeg

The iris at about 3ft tall.

My mum had noticed she was topping it more than usual recently, but it was never that deep, so I’m not sure whether the roots had possibly pierced it or whether it was just drying out from the sun.

She’s asked me to do a new one but with shelves for different plants. My only worry is that roots are causing punctures.

Can someone confirm for me if this is a possibility?

Thank you

2BC240A6-1CA8-4C33-9F80-EC24D924B722.jpeg

I never had roots from irises puncture a pond liner. If you had bamboo in or near it that would be another story. Note plants under some circumstances will pull more water than just the pond without plants. It is possible you have a leak caused by placing the pots with rocks under them causing a hole.

I never had roots from irises puncture a pond liner. If you had bamboo in or near it that would be another story. Note plants under some circumstances will pull more water than just the pond without plants. It is possible you have a leak caused by placing the pots with rocks under them causing a hole.
Ah, good point. Could have been the dwarf fir trees. I did separate them using a liner in their own box but I guess it’s always a possibility that I didn’t even consider.

Thank you

Most reactions

Back