Managing Reopening Of Old Threads

pammy172

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I can't help but notice that a lot of old threads are re-opened on this forum without actaully recognising that it is an old thread and whether the new post adds value etc. Sometimes we just don't notice how old the thread might be as it might pop up on a search etc and sometimes it's helpful to refresh an old thread but often it's not and just clogs up the already busy boards.

Can the forum software trigger if a post is older than say 12 months to ask the poster to check if their post is still apt? Then if it is fine - but if it's not, then we can help avoid making an unecessary post.

Just a thought. :)

I don't think it can do that, but bear in mind many of the ressurections are because of the 'similar post' bit at the bottom, which I believe will be gotten rid of as soon as is convenient.

Pretty much what OohFeeshy said.

That happens because of the "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the page. That disappeared with the last software update but because of some other problems we had (search not working, aquarium calculator not working) and some measures taken to get the forum software running smoothly. Unfortnately, after the trouble shooting was done and things were back to normal, ST was back too. It's a minor issue and we usually close them when we see them with a note stating the thread is old. Unfortunately, the software has no way to warn us of an old thread. Hopefully, it will be gone again with the next update.

having old thread hashed out isnt necessarily a bad thing. there is just as much pertinent information in those posts and I think that it is good that those posts are being brought up from time to time.

Most reactions

Back