Males harassing the female mollys

16gallontanker

Reaction score
I bought some mollies online and didn't know the male to female ratio I was going to get so I ended up with 3 males to 1 female so what should I do if they are harrasing herr should I put her by herself in the breeding net possibly? I'm worried they might stress her to death

Bluntly, Shes dead, you have to reverse that ratio.

In reality it depends on the availability of hiding places there is. You are the judge.

But I started Livebearer tanks with as low as 6 fish and only substrate and a filter.

And it worked.

I think in that kind of environment, your female while she's running... Is really pleased to have that much males after her.

Loll.

Bluntly, Shes dead, you have to reverse that ratio.

In reality it depends on the availability of hiding places there is. You are the judge.

But I started Livebearer tanks with as low as 6 fish and only substrate and a filter.

And it worked.

I think in that kind of environment, your female while she's running... Is really pleased to have that much males after her.

Loll.
Do I need to keep her separated till she gives birth I think she's pregnant

The problem comes from the pheromones that are released will never be diluted enough in a enclosed environment. And all the males in a tank will think that any female they encounter is "ready" for a while.

But once you are persuaded that your lady has been fertilized, you can move her to more tranquil water or cut the tank with a large water change.

You need to put them in different tanks or get rid of one sex. Either keep the males and get rid of the female, or keep the female and get rid of the males.

Breeding traps/ nets do stress the females.

She can't live in a net.

Don't use that online seller again, and if you have a small tank, rehome two males and get two females. Either that, or get another tank for the female, a large and roomy one so she can have a life.

Most reactions

Back