Male Or Female?

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can you tell me whether this is a male or a female - If you cant tell from the photo it is 2.2-2.5 inches long I think =D

Attachments

• Betta_4.JPG
    Betta_4.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 24
That's definitely a male, not only because of the longer fins but I can also see the special gill flap the males have for flaring. It's really kind of obvious though, so what made you think he might be a female?

Well I am completely new to Betta's, but i thought it was a female personally becuase it doesnt have a spectacular colour like some males i have seen, plus its fins are not as long/pretty as some males, thanks for the quick response =)

So in your opinion, do you think i will need to keep this betta isolated for the rest of its life?

Well I am completely new to Betta's, but i thought it was a female personally becuase it doesnt have a spectacular colour like some males i have seen, plus its fins are not as long/pretty as some males, thanks for the quick response =)

So in your opinion, do you think i will need to keep this betta isolated for the rest of its life?

His fins probably aren't grown out more b/c he might still be young. They'll usually grow longer as they get older :)
What are you talking about his color though! He's VERY vibrant and gorgeous :good: You can't really go by color anyway b/c females are just as colorful as males are.

As for getting him tankmates.
How large is the tank you have him in now? If it's 3gallons and under, I wouldn't put in anything with him.
If you think he may be lonely or some such thing, just show him his reflection for a few minutes a day. He'll think it's another betta and flare at it some.
If he's in a larger tank, you could try putting in something else (so long as it's not another betta or anything that may nip his fins), but you'll have to watch it carefully to make sure he's not aggressive. Some bettas are calm and don't care about other tankmates, and some are little holy terrors that can't be kept with anything.

His fins probably aren't grown out more b/c he might still be young. They'll usually grow longer as they get older :)
What are you talking about his color though! He's VERY vibrant and gorgeous :good: You can't really go by color anyway b/c females are just as colorful as males are.

How large is the tank you have him in now? If it's 3gallons and under, I wouldn't put in anything with him.
If you think he may be lonely or some such thing, just show him his reflection for a few minutes a day. He'll think it's another betta and flare at it some.
If he's in a larger tank, you could try putting in something else (so long as it's not another betta or anything that may nip his fins), but you'll have to watch it carefully to make sure he's not aggressive. Some bettas are calm and don't care about other tankmates, and some are little holy terrors that can't be kept with anything.

lol, i guess he is pretty! the tank is 4.5 gallon, so i will get one more fish to put in? hmm...does you/anyone have any ideas of what kinds of fish? i know guppies are a no no, if there is any agression when i do add a fish, i will simply seperate them. Do you think i could add a female betta? or would they fight?

lol, i guess he is pretty! the tank is 4.5 gallon, so i will get one more fish to put in? hmm...does you/anyone have any ideas of what kinds of fish? i know guppies are a no no, if there is any agression when i do add a fish, i will simply seperate them. Do you think i could add a female betta? or would they fight?

he will fight with a female, especialy in a small tank.

okay, i dont think i will add a female, but i think this betta is placid, i tried showing him his reflection several times, but he didnt care, maybe i should add my platy and find out >: D lol

I got a couple of boys who are very quiet, if you show them a mirror they swim off in the other direction. they are a bit wimpish but I still love them. Then again I got a girl who flares at anything, but she is just a feisty female!

Most reactions

Back