Male Guppy - Weird Behaviour

SandraNewbie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, so I may have jynxed myself. Having just posted a topic about my fish never being ill one of my guppy's is behaving REALLY weirdly.

Tank size: 7'6" x 1'9" x 2'9"
pH: 7.4-7.8 (can't really read the Api test kit in this range, is usually this pH)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 80-160 closer to 160
kH: Never Tested, no kit.
gH: Never Tested, no kit.
tank temp: 26/25 (two thermometers in tank usually about half a degree apart)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):His symptoms are very similar to the symptoms my pregnant females get when they're about to birth, colours faded, not swimming much, staying in calmest parts of the tank and only lazily swimming away if another fish bothers him, looking bloated. redish poop, regular amount.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 25%weekly with a 50% once a month

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: stresszyme+ for dechlorination

Tank inhabitants: 5x balas (4" ish), 2x Bristlenose Pleco (one male one female), 24ish guppys

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): No recent additions but a week and a half ago I had a heater thermostat break and the tank got up to 37ish degrees. I cooled slowly and replaced the heater, and have slightly upped the airstone and water agitation to account for dropped O2 levels. Also a little over a month ago I stopped using a nitrate reactor because it wasn't working right (didn't have a manual) and seemed to be slowly lowering pH

Exposure to chemicals: none that i'm aware of

Oh dear, Edited above post but also including here.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Between 80 and 160, closer to 160!

I'm draining the tank now, and planning on doing an 85% or so water change.

How did this happen? Last week my Nitrate was between 5&10 and I did a 25% change...which is what it was a week before and the week before that.
It's not been over 10 once in the last few months...

Any ideas how this happened?

How long did you have the tank running for?

It's been running for about 3 months. The media was established when it was set up.

I have found the culprit. There was a box of the balas pellets in the tank. No idea how it got knocked in.

Idiot me.

Most reactions

Back