Male Guppy problems

Kellya325

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Please anyone I have a new yellow male guppy who is persistent on chasing my Rainbow Boesmani and won’t leave her alone. I don’t understand why he’s chasing the fish it looks like he’s trying to mate with her but she’s a different fish so I’m so confused and I guess nobody ever had this problem cause I can’t find anything about it with 2 different fish. He’s been doing it for the last 3 days. He’s not chasing any of my other fish around just my female Boesmani. Thank you if anyone can help please. I have 2 tank setups one is a community tank and my other tank has pregnant females who won’t be returning to the community tank so they don’t have anymore babies I’m over 150 fry’s right now between 3 female guppies and 1 Dalmatian Molly.

Guppies will choose anything to mate with, one of my gups chose my molly female over female guppies and my male endler is the only one that will mate female guppies.
Guppies will actually choose anyhting in the first sight to mate with, they will also try to mate with other males.
This kind of behaviour s nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal.

That’s great news I was starting to get worried because he just keeps chasing her around and I wasn’t able to find out why. I never knew guppies would try to mate with others that aren’t his breed of fish my other male guppies just mate with my female guppies no one else and my mollies only mate with my other mollies. I haven’t seen this before in the 6 months I had my tanks setup and cycled with fish. Everything is so new and I try to research a lot before I have ask but I wasn’t finding nothing

They also will change their little minds about what to mate with. Mollies and guppies can interbreed with, but it is impossible with other fish.
Guppies can breed with mollies also
Platies with swordtails

Omg I had no idea that mollies and guppies can do that. I thought they just mate with that breed and nothing else. Thank you for all this advice I really appreciate the help @Salty&Onion

Omg I had no idea that mollies and guppies can do that. I thought they just mate with that breed and nothing else. Thank you for all this advice I really appreciate the help @Salty&
I'm afraid that is true. You are going to end up with a lot more fry - even if those females never see a male again.
oh boy

I just added two fancy guppies (m/f) to my LOTR tank that I was silent cycling last week. I had 5 feeder males guppies in there already. She did not look pregnant but I looked into the tank last night and saw 2 tiny fry. I was not going to buy them but I really liked the look of the male. LFS only sells fancy guppies in pairs.

Attachments

• GEDC1305.JPG
    GEDC1305.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 69
  • GEDC1309.JPG
    GEDC1309.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • GEDC1308.JPG
    GEDC1308.JPG
    996.9 KB · Views: 73

Most reactions

Back