Male Beta

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cliddell

Reaction score
I took on two neglected betas, bought them each a 3 gallon tank. The red one has slowly been turning white over the last few months and now he just lays on the bottom. What can I do?
1630523842978591976421.jpg
1630523842978591976421.jpg

Did you cycle your tank before putting the fish in there? Are you using tap conditioner when you put fresh water in?

Also if they're both males they can be aggressive towards each other, and stress each other out, also 3 gallons is on the smaller side, especially with having two in there.

Did you cycle your tank before putting the fish in there? Are you using tap conditioner when you put fresh water in?

Also if they're both males they can be aggressive towards each other, and stress each other out, also 3 gallons is on the smaller side, especially with having two in there.
The OP does say that they have one each…

Chance are, they were traumatised by their past existence. Bettas need clean water and a secure environment. Assuming your water is okay, I'd suggest switching the lights off and give them some peace and quiet. (I don't believe that garish decor would help matters ;) ).

Think real plants and some aeration.

EDIT: Last sentence added.

Hey :)
Betta ARE soft and acidic fishes.

I need to know :
pH (tap/source water and tank)
GH-hardness (tap/source water and tank)
KH-alkalinity (tap/source water and tank)
Ammonia (tap/source water and tank)
Nitrites (tap/source water and tank)
Nitrates (tap/source water and tank)
Water changes (volume, frequency)
Feeding brand amount

they might be stressed out from the small tank. the minimum for a betta is 5 gallons so maybe you could update them. also you should replace the fake plants with real ones.

Most reactions

Back