malasian blue lobsters

macky1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
saw some malasin blue lobsters in me local aquatic store
and after a chat with the assistant she told me they would be fine in a community tank.
so i decided to buy one

so i was wondering if anyone had any tips on keeping them

cheers

macky :)

All crayfish (lobsters) are predators that will try to catch and eat small or slow moving fish, im afraid the assistant has lied to you :( As with all the larger inverts (crabs and crayfish) they are best kept in a species tank enviroment.

Cray fish will munch through all your plants and any fish it can get its claws on.
Dont get them unless you have a dedicated tank, my lfs sold me one and told me it would be ok in my community tank WRONG very wrong.

As others have said, they're not too good in a community tank i had one after a LFS told me it would be ok, he ate all my plants and bothered most of my fish he had to go back.

They grow quite large too and turn from blue to grey and when older/larger they look very ugly.

oh dear,

they told me they are ok in comunity tanks if they are fed sinking wafers, odd bits of meat and cabomba australis plants.

he seems fine with the other fish at the moment.

my other tank is housing 20 corydorus fry at the moment
i think it will be best if i set up this tank to house the lobster

how big do they grow????

cheers
macky :eek:

Depending on the exact species your blue lobster could get as large as 14" but the norm is around 8", as they are quite sensative to water conditions they need a fairly large tank for their size with a tank of around 40g (36"x18"x15") needed for a single adult specimin.

They need colder water than most tropical fish preffering the temperature to be around 60 to 65 degrees centigrade, keeping the water too warm will cause the crayfish to moult too often and will damage its health, feeding too much meaty food will do the same so it is recomended you only feed your crayfish meaty food once a week with vegetable fare making up the rest of its diet, ours is fed pieces of what ever green vegetable we are having for dinner our selves.

i have a pic of the lobster but dont know how to post it

if u wanna see it let me know and i will email it ya

cheers
macky

Most reactions

Back