Maintenance

swampey

Reaction score
Hi All

My fish are in and all the test results are on the mark, we did lost one fish the other night, but he seemed a loner and the LFS have been advise and will be getting a replacement

Now we are at the stage of maintenance... so Ive got to do a water change, do I live the water at room temp for a few hours or can we put straight into the tank once treated.. would this effect the other fish

Hi All

My fish are in and all the test results are on the mark, we did lost one fish the other night, but he seemed a loner and the LFS have been advise and will be getting a replacement

Now we are at the stage of maintenance... so Ive got to do a water change, do I live the water at room temp for a few hours or can we put straight into the tank once treated.. would this effect the other fish

if you have a thermometer then just mix some hot & cold tap water, treat the water, check the temperature is the same as the tank and then add it. i've never had any problems doing that & the fish seem to enjoy new water being added.

Thermometer isn't really necessary but would obviously be one of the more accurate ways to do it. Otherwise just use your hand/arm and guess.

edit: water can go in as soon as it's treated (or immediately and then treat the tank). Just be careful with the dosages as it changes depending on method used.

No need to be too fussy - a water change with slightly colder water is a good thing as it will bring your fish into breeding mode by mimicking the rainfall cycles.just judge it roughly by feeling with your hand.

Word of warning - if you are using the hot water tap make sure its not coming from a hot water storage tank as they sometimes contain copper. I use my kettle and a couple of saucepans of boiling water to mix with the cold. dont forget your decholorinator - you cant really overdose on this so use more rather than less.

Most reactions

Back