Maintaining Ph

rockin302

Reaction score
What's the best way to maintain PH in a tank?

Do certain types of wood, gravel, rocks, or plants affect the ph of the tank?

I've seen stuff like PH blocks that fish shops sell that claim to keep the tank in a specific range.

Any advice is appreciated.

The best thing to do with pH is don't mess with it. Adjusting the pH of tap water is tricky, and pH swings stress fish, leading to deaths. Most fish can acclimate to a wide pH range, it's easier to adjust your fish to the water than your water to the fish.

Any chemicals added to tap water will work poorly, unless you have extremely soft water. Hardness stabilizes pH, you can adjust harder water, and in a short amount of time it will swing back to where it was, bad news for fish.

Driftwood or bogwood will lower the pH slightly, while crushed coral or any limestone based rock will raise it slightly. This is a better way than adding any chemicals. If you need to do any major adjustments, it's best to start with ro water, this gives you a blank slate to start with, and can be adjusted to any pH or hardness needed.

Well, it seems that the water always drifts to the acidic side. Also, I rarely sift through the substrate when I'm cleaning the tank I usually just take out a percentage 10-20% and replace it.

Should I be pulling out the plants in the tank and then do a proper substrate cleaning?

Most reactions

Back