Magnum 350

Joeyt66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Whats the best way to clean the micron filter on a magnum 350? Is it ok to use that filter all the time or should i only use it when needed. example.....when i first got the magnum 350 i used the micron filter and the next day water was crystal clear. so i then used the carbon basket and sleeve and after bout 4 days i can notice it not as clear. i am wondering if it is ok to use it all the time and the best way of cleaning it? Just rinsing it in water didnt really seem to help a whole lot.

I have 3 of the Mag 350s, obviously I like them. The micron filter definitely does an impressive job, but the swapping of cartridges is just impractical. I run the main filter (which is a mag 350) with the basket on all the time (simply rinsing 'the big stuff' in a bucket of 'old tank water' every 2 weeks). I actually got an extra filter to bounce between aquariums with the micron filter. This way I do not have to be concerned with it maintaining a bacteria culture.

In summary, to protect your biological filtration it is best to always use the basket. If you do decide to rotate them it would be best to 'store' the 'old basket ' in a stocking in the aquarium. This will keep most of the bacteria alive and in the aquarium doing it's thing.

the magnum 350 is a secondary filter the main is an eheim (for the benificial bacteria)i got the 350 so the water would stay nice and clear

That's a different story then, lol.

I've found if you remove the micron filter about twice a week and rinsing it in hot water it will help them last a lot longer than only cleaning them when they are clogged. Since you have sufficient biological filtration elsewhere, hot water rinsing isn't a concern. I think you'll be impressed.

edited PS - for a 135 Gal you may not need the micron filtration constantly. I would only run it for a day or two once a week. Then balance it from there to what you need to keep the tank as clear as you want it.

Most reactions

Back