Lungfish

ferrikins

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I know someone that has a Lungfish, and looking for as much info to pace on to them as pos.

At the moment, I beleave he is keeping it in a 2ft tank. With a goldfish or 2.

PLEASE help me educate this guy, he won't listen to me, he thinks I know nothing, but I just know this fish is in terrible conditions.

How big is the lungfish? What species is it? Does he know that all lungfish get to at least 18 inches? If he has any prblems with you helping him out, send him to me. :shifty:

As I'm aware, lungfish grow to approximately 4' and are very predatory and will become extremely aggressive as they grow bigger. I know a few members own lungfish, so maybe some of them will fill you in more about them. :)

Thanks guys, I'll try and get some more info from this guy. It anoys me so much when you try your best to help people for the best of there fish and they don't listen.

Yeah, I've currently got a South American Lungfish, which grows to four feet, and the only two smaller species are Protopterus annectens (2 1/2 feet) and P. amphibious (18 inches). As a general rule, the africans (P. aethopicus, P. dolloi, P. annectens, and P. amphibious) are very ill-tempered, and can't be kept with much else. The Australian (Neoceratodus forsteri) and the South American (Lepidosiren paradoxa) lungfishes are peaceful fish that can be kept with just about anything that cannot fit in their mouths. Once again, that's a general rule, and there are exceptions to every rule. Protopoterus aethopicus gets to 6' 6", P. dolloi gets to around 4' 4", P. annectens gets to 2' 6", P. amphibious gets to 18", Lepidosiren Paradoxa gets to about 4', and Neoceratodus forsteri gets to about 5' 9".

Black_Ghost_Guy said:
Yeah, I've currently got a South American Lungfish, which grows to four feet, and the only two smaller species are Protopterus annectens (2 1/2 feet) and P. amphibious (18 inches). As a general rule, the africans (P. aethopicus, P. dolloi, P. annectens, and P. amphibious) are very ill-tempered, and can't be kept with much else. The Australian (Neoceratodus forsteri) and the South American (Lepidosiren paradoxa) lungfishes are peaceful fish that can be kept with just about anything that cannot fit in their mouths. Once again, that's a general rule, and there are exceptions to every rule. Protopoterus aethopicus gets to 6' 6", P. dolloi gets to around 4' 4", P. annectens gets to 2' 6", P. amphibious gets to 18", Lepidosiren Paradoxa gets to about 4', and Neoceratodus forsteri gets to about 5' 9".
Thankyou, still waiting for him to arnser my quetions about his tank, but as far as I know it is an African.

I gonna give him this site's link and see weather he acherly joins, I wish he would.

ferrikins said:
I know someone that has a Lungfish, and looking for as much info to pace on to them as pos.

At the moment, I beleave he is keeping it in a 2ft tank. With a goldfish or 2.

PLEASE help me educate this guy, he won't listen to me, he thinks I know nothing, but I just know this fish is in terrible conditions.
hello i am the own of the lungfish it not in a 2ft trank as suzie say it in a 48x17x12
i have do other water chage again today and reteat on sun and may add same rain water to

here are last sun
test nh2 nh4 ammonia ammonun 0
no2 nitrite 4.0
ph broad range 6.5
g.h general hardness 80%

if u like a look at the lungfish go to http://www.freewebs.com/iansferret
it not a good pic but can take a other one bye ian and thank u
:rofl: :kewlpics: :cool:

thankyou for joining Ian.

The guys here will help you out, I only said it was a 2ft, as that what I thought I remembered.

But anyway your in the right place to help your lovely fish.

oh and :hi:

:D

some arsome fish, I hope the feeder fish are died, as it illigal to feed live vertabrates in the UK.

I did hear at some point they there where, supose to be illigal to sell now due to not many numbers in the wild, but my LFS has has a couple since I heard so must not have heard right.

I wish I had a house, let alone tank big anothe, oh yeah and the monet for that big guy.

ferrikins said:
some arsome fish, I hope the feeder fish are died, as it illigal to feed live vertabrates in the UK.

I did hear at some point they there where, supose to be illigal to sell now due to not many numbers in the wild, but my LFS has has a couple since I heard so must not have heard right.

I wish I had a house, let alone tank big anothe, oh yeah and the monet for that big guy.
some lungfish u can not buy how come your friend can sale a lungfish on e bay

ferrikins said:

suzie should he or she be saleing a life fish on ebay me think not

Ebay actually have a section for tropical fish (live stock) now, so i think the rules must have changed.

I think ebay allow anything the Royal Mail will post. RM will post live fish (but not most other live animals...actually, if memory serves correct there is a law on the statute books that specifically states you cannot send live pigs through the postal system...)

Most reactions

Back