Low Tech 65 Gallon Help

magpie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay so here's my situation. I have a brand new 65 gallon tank that is 36" long and 24" deep. I have had a planted 30 gallon tank before, but that was before I really knew much about anything or the Internet was available for this kind of information - I used two strip lights, one with a plant bulb, and kept things that I had success with. It worked fairly well, but now theres so much more info out there!

My main focus is the fish, but I do want it to be fairly heavily planted – would like a nice balance.   I plan on having some rams, a pair of apistos, some kuhli loaches, forktail rainbows, cardinal tetras, and others yet to be fully determined.  I know the rams and apistos like a lower light tank.  I know that the plants add to this for them, especially if I have some floating plants on the surface, which I think the forktails like and also the clown killis and/or marbled hatchetfish which I’m also contemplating.   

My substrate is this stuff which is kind of a larger diameter sand – bigger than normal/fine sand, smaller than normal gravel.  The people at my LFS said their plant guy loves it.  I have that mixed with Flourite.   

I have an Eheim 2217 external canister filter, which is rated up to 159 gallons, so I should have good circulation.

Right now I just have the strip/hood light which came with the tank, as when I got it, I knew I had a lot more lighting research to do before I bought anything outside the package.  It’s a 24” 8000K full spectrum daylight Aqueon – 17w T8.  I have a glass top on the tank.

So… my questions…. Can you do a low-tech moderate light tank?  Or to go moderate would you need CO2? 
Would a moderate light tank with a fairly densely planted setup work OK for the dwarf cichlids, or would it still be too much light?  I don’t want them to hide – I’d rather stick with lower light and be careful about my choice of plants.   (Fish selection will trump plant selection every time.  Although I wouldn’t choose a fish who would demolish plants because a live plant tank is important to me too!  ;)  )

What kind of lighting would you recommend for me based on all this? 
I am open to suggestions in multiple progressions – say a suggestion just to get the tank up and running (because I’m getting antsy), then one to work into.  Who knows, maybe someday I’ll venture into CO2 but right now I just want this tank started.  I am open to getting a new fixture so I can do T5.  I’d prefer not to break the bank but am open to spending a little money to do it right.  

It’s just tricky because the more I read, the more I realize that lighting is very multifactorial and there is no one perfect answer.

I’m hoping you can help steer me in the right direction. 

Thanks for reading my novel!  :)

Make sure you really want the tank where it is. Once full, you're looking at 600 pounds. On a positive note, the tank can be moved with help once the water level and the weight is lowered. Setting up a tank is a life time enjoyment. Take your time and get the most out of it.

Yes, the tanks where I want it and I sussed out the spot to be sure it could take the weight. It's full of water now and all good. Just empty!

I tested the pH and it's higher than it used to be at my prior place, same city. Wondering if the large diameter sand with flourite can increase it a bit? Will do a water change today, and add plants tomorrow. Still not 100% sure on what to do for lighting....

Thank you! I am all about soaking in the input right now.

Most reactions

Back