Losing African Dwarf Frogs to dropsy

Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've lost two of my 5 ADF's to dropsy in the last fortnight and I'm not sure why. I've only had them for a few months, I had two already and bought three more to boost numbers. It seems to be the newer ones that are affected.

The symptoms start with going off food a few days beforehand, then hiding, then I find them bloated at the top of the tank. I have had one frog historically who lived despite having dropsy symptoms, she continued eating for a number of months, but as these guys are already off their food I've taken the decision to euthanise them as I am assuming they are suffering from some sort of illness.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, these guys were nice and chunky when I got them, have always eaten well and been active. Their diet consists of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia, I feed three days on one day off. I don't know if I could be overfeeding but would this lead to dropsy?

I'm a bit gutted as I don't seem to be able to able to keep these guys going long-term. Any advice greatly welcome.

Have you checked your water parameters? How often do you perform water changes?

Have you checked your water parameters? How often do you perform water changes?
Yep sorry, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm.

I do 50% changes twice a week. Last change was yesterday but this froggy was already showing symptoms yesterday, I was just hoping against hope it might pass.

I feel like a terrible frog parent as these little guys just aren't living long whereas the ones I've had previously have been fine so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Over feeding does not cause dropsy. In the wild frogs will eat when food is available and they eat as much as they can during that time.

Dropsy is caused by either internal organ failure or an internal bacterial infection. Sometimes bacteria get into the organs and cause them to fail. There's not normally any way to tell if they have weak internal organs or internal bacterial infections until they bloat up and die. Then it's too late.

Bad food (food that has gone off or been contaminated by something) can cause dropsy but if the two original frogs are fine on the same food and it's only happening to the new frogs, then it's not the food. Likewise if they are all in the same aquarium, then it's not water quality or anything to do with the aquarium.

The most likely cause if it's only affecting the new batch of frogs is either poor genetics from inbreeding, or something like Fish TB, which frogs can pick up and it destroys the internal organs. There's no cure for Fish TB and if you have had a number of frogs die from the same symptoms, I would look at getting them necropsied (animal autopsy) by a frog vet or fish vet. Your local zoo might be able to put you onto a vet or a herpetologist who can give you more advice. You could also check out frog forums and the people there would probably be able to help more than us fishy folks.

Over feeding does not cause dropsy. In the wild frogs will eat when food is available and they eat as much as they can during that time.

Dropsy is caused by either internal organ failure or an internal bacterial infection. Sometimes bacteria get into the organs and cause them to fail. There's not normally any way to tell if they have weak internal organs or internal bacterial infections until they bloat up and die. Then it's too late.

Bad food (food that has gone off or been contaminated by something) can cause dropsy but if the two original frogs are fine on the same food and it's only happening to the new frogs, then it's not the food. Likewise if they are all in the same aquarium, then it's not water quality or anything to do with the aquarium.

The most likely cause if it's only affecting the new batch of frogs is either poor genetics from inbreeding, or something like Fish TB, which frogs can pick up and it destroys the internal organs. There's no cure for Fish TB and if you have had a number of frogs die from the same symptoms, I would look at getting them necropsied (animal autopsy) by a frog vet or fish vet. Your local zoo might be able to put you onto a vet or a herpetologist who can give you more advice. You could also check out frog forums and the people there would probably be able to help more than us fishy folks.
Thanks Colin, I think it may be genetics, it's just so frustrating to lose them and feeling unable to stop it. Perhaps exacerbated by losing a non-fish pet last week, I am potentially feeling it harder than normal. My fish in the same tank (all cories) don't seem to be affected in any way, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Most reactions

Back