looking for ideas (and to stop changing them :-) )

Velvetgun

Reaction score
Finally my first aquarium has arrived, with the best dimensions I could find, that is 60x30x30 cm 54 liters
My water values are:
ph 7
gh 7
kh 7
conductivity 540
but I'm willing to use osmosis water and add salts

I was convinced about which fish to put but instead I keep changing my mind because I'm not sure I have the best solution for me and for them.

As I said I love interactive, colorful, interesting and if possible long-lived fish.

Among the fish I love:

- macropodus opercularis (paradise gourami) - fear aggression and maybe my aquarium is small? A couple then where do I put the children that make a lot of them? Can I put only one male? In any case aesthetically I love them! perfect with another fish that I love the White Cloud Mountain minnow (Tanichthys albonubes). I saw a spectacular aquarium in a shop, if I understand how to insert a video I'll send it to you

- Trichogaster lalius (Dwarf Gourami) - here too fear aggression between male and female and with other fish. What other fish could I keep it with?

- betta show - I would take a plakat for fear of problems with the long fins. Who could I put it with? Japonica and then? which fish? I don't really like the classic rasboras, like the espei.

- betta wild (Mahachaiensis/imbellis/smaragdina) - a couple could be an idea, I don't know if I like them (only seen in videos I find them splendid) then them alone too? Will they be too shy? I can't stand shy fish

- betta wild (albimarginata, cannoides, antuta) - how to manage the particular values? is it necessary to diversify them after reproduction? some say yes to give the male a break, some say no. Same problem about shyness

- kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) - Is it possible to put other fish together even during reproduction or are they too aggressive? I also have the problem of too much prolificacy and where to put the children

- Apistogramma - I think Rams are too difficult for a beginner. Can I keep the others, such as cocatuoides ? If so, with what other fish species?

What do you think? Can you help me by giving your opinions?
Other ideas?

Last edited:
Your water and your tastes don't match up well. You like softwater fish, though paradise fish (opercularis) will thrive in water that's wet. The tank is a bit small for them, kribs, and most Apistos. A. borellii would work, if you can find it.
Rams aren't Apistos, but the tank size is tight.

Avoid lalius, as they are very often diseased, and that situation isn't improving. They have an Iridovirus problem that is no danger to other fish, but that hits a lot of them.

Wild type Bettas can be tough to keep before you get used to water maintenance, and all the routines that make a tank work. They are demanding fish to keep. A beginner can keep them, but you'd have to really be into your hobby to have a chance. They aren't for the uncommitted.

What I like doesn't matter. What you like is for you to find, and I can see you have a good eye and curiosity already. Keep digging! It's fun.

Your water and your tastes don't match up well. You like softwater fish, though paradise fish (opercularis) will thrive in water that's wet. The tank is a bit small for them, kribs, and most Apistos. A. borellii would work, if you can find it.
Rams aren't Apistos, but the tank size is tight.

Avoid lalius, as they are very often diseased, and that situation isn't improving. They have an Iridovirus problem that is no danger to other fish, but that hits a lot of them.

Wild type Bettas can be tough to keep before you get used to water maintenance, and all the routines that make a tank work. They are demanding fish to keep. A beginner can keep them, but you'd have to really be into your hobby to have a chance. They aren't for the uncommitted.

What I like doesn't matter. What you like is for you to find, and I can see you have a good eye and curiosity already. Keep digging! It's fun.
thank you so much for your kind reply!
For show bettas do you have any ideas on who to put with him ?
Other ideas of fish with interesting, beautiful, human-interacting behaviors that I could put in?
I am open to many ideas even of species that are not very well known (for example in dogs when I got my first malinois in 1995 they were unknown and I couldn't have made a better choice, famous doesn't mean they are the best)

Malinois? Okay, you have energy.

I may not be the best person to talk to, because I really don't like Bettas. That's heresy in the hobby, but I really like natural fish, and think fancy breeding ruins a fish.

Usually, the fish that pay the most attention to humans are predators. By nature, they look around all the time, seeking opportunities, and if they realize food appears when you do, you'll interest them.

Most predatory fish are too large for your tank. You will probably enjoy insect hunters - insectivores. Bettas are in that group. Large finned Bettas don't like other fish, and are vulnerable to fin nipping. They're best kept alone.

Your tank is small. I would look into Apistogramma borellii, and some pencil fish. They'll interact, do way more interesting things than a betta, and they're pretty. But hopefully, you'll get good suggestions from other members.

I may not be the best person to talk to, because I really don't like Bettas. That's heresy in the hobby, but I really like natural fish, and think fancy breeding ruins a fish.
aesthetically I like them if they are not excessive (see plakat) but it was for the reasons you said that I was interested in wild bettas, I find them even more beautiful because they are natural and character-wise they are not ruined by man increasing their aggressiveness and decreasing their ability to live a normal life with less health and less swimming ability.
I will study your proposals, I know little about the borelli and by pencil fish you mean the nannostomus?
Thanks again for your patience in answering requests so repetitive and banal for you

Hi,great to talk aquariums, but I think you should backtrack a bit. Using your local water is great & the idea is to select fish that don't mean that you need alterations to the water that you are going to use for water changes. Simplicity is the secret to trouble free fish keeping.

Most reactions

Back