Long time aquarium keeper, new to any fish forum.

GailH

Reaction score
Good morning all, and Happy Labor Day. Hope everyone in the USA who is celebrating has a great day.

I'm Gail, and I've been keeping aquariums for over 50 years - everything from just planted tanks, to fish, to freshwater invertebrates to aquatic amphibians and reptiles. My first 'tank' was one of those absolutely horrible plastic bins with an island and a fake palm tree that housed a single slider turtle baby. Little did I understand at the age of 6 that it was truly a cruel thing to have a living creature kept like that. Needless to say, I have come a long way since then.

I left the hobby for quite a few years (life, ya know), went back to it for a few years, left again (life, ya know) and am starting back into the hobby as of the past year or so. I've recently caught the shrimp bug, need I say more? My preference is for a naturalistic, fairly self regulating tank set up. I work hard to get just the right balance in my little slices of biosphere to make maintenance a less burdensome task. Sponge filters preferred, lots of biodiversity. Most of my maintenance is just partial water changes as necessary and the occasional washing out of the sponge filters. I like simple inhabitants that don't need a lot of specialized equipment - none of my tanks have heaters at the moment, since Neocaridina shrimp really don't need them. Currently I just keep shrimp and snails, but am on the lookout for some small cool water fish that won't eat the shrimp but will help control the population of Detritus worms. Finding anything like that in my area that isn't infected with some disease that is plain to see in the pet store tanks is not easy. No, I don't like having to spend a month or more medicating new fish to be sure they are healthy. Yup, I know the worms are just a natural part of the ecosystem, but they still kind of creep me out lol. And as we all know, even without over feeding, those buggers just always seem to explode in planted tanks with cholla wood.

<drum roll and the big tada reveal> I love snails. All kinds of snails. Yup, I am one of those aquarium keepers who is on that side of the fence about them :)

There were no such things as fish forums - heck, there wasn't even an internet - when I was younger, so I am curious just how well an online community like this one works to help folks who have questions and to just share love of the hobby. Full disclosure, I was a member for many years of another online forum for a certain craft and sadly, saw that form turn into a political cesspool that made it unbearable to even be a part of anymore. I see that there are rules here to stay away from such volatile subjects so I hope to be able to find the online comradery of likeminded individuals which I once enjoyed at that other forum.

Well , well , well . Your story is just about exactly like mine and many others here on The Great TFF Forum . Started out way back in the halcyon days of youth , in my case 1965 , kept aquariums a long time then put them on the back burner for life reasons . Then started up again and quit again and then finally returned , hopefully for good or until age intervenes , to really do it right again . I like the story about your turtle tank . My first aquarium was a glass gallon jar and the guppies in it came from a classmate in fourth grade who brought them for show and tell . We all have a story and I find the ones of older aquarists like us fascinating because we did things on a budget and improvised things . Welcome to our merry little band of people who have nothing better to do but talk about aquariums and the fish in them . This is a good bunch and you’ll like it if you dive in and join the fun . We’ve been waiting for you .
P.S. There is absolutely NO politics here and the forum cops do a very good job of keeping things civil .

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is so true - how we did things on a budget, had to MacGyver stuff (even before there was a MacGyver!) and needed to go to a physical library to look at books (gasp!) to find information about things that our local pet stores knew nothing useful about.

Glad to hear it is a good bunch here and no political bs. Looking forward to being a part of the group... but right now, need to get to Home Depot for a piece of plywood to use with setting up my new 20 gallon long. Going to use one lower shelf on one of my heavy duty wire racks - one bought before they started to cheap out on how things are made, so it really will hold 350 pounds per shelf, but I still don't use a shelf on one of these racks for a tank without 3/4" plywood added as extra insurance. And though I have seen some brave souls who stack one of these 5 shelf units top to bottom with 20 gallon longs (and larger) I simply don't have that kind of faith so it is never more than one tank on a lower shelf.

Hello and welcome :)
Hoping you can share pictures and experiences of the fish and critters you are keeping or kept in the past.

Hi Gail, Welcome to FF !!!

I'm a little like you, after a good break I made a come back last year, pretty minimalist on the tanks setup and maintenance, But I never skimped on tool and gear... I Love Gerry Rigs, and all my tanks are abiding by this rule. For me now, it's a patience game and I can spend eternity trying to make a tank maintain no nitrates. @ perpetuity, just to try...

I overloaded tanks a lot before and was able to cope with the demand and ran a couple other OoB projects that required a lot of effort... Today I'm aiming at something a lot more self sufficient... Something near a motorized walstad... That could last years without rinsing the filter.

So atm I'm running only algae, shrimps and snails 😉 too !!!

But I admit have been seduced by the new High End Led Lights and other awesome goodies. That are helping a lot to achieve exact goals...

For your Worm problem, you can eliminate all of them without trace in a couple of months with absolutely no additive. In fact it's subtractive... To feed your shrimps use pvc coated steel wire and hang solidly the pellets in mid water. During this period your baby shrimps will have difficulty to feed so you can still help them a little with powdered food... A little. Vacuum regularly all you can with minimal water changes.

With a little tinkering all the time, I eliminated hydra, detritus worms, I'm only left with seed shrimp and another kind of short worm, but they don't have the head of the typical planarian and are nearly never seen.

But the seed shrimps... They are there forever. I'm at a third test and they can survive ELE and prosper in incredible conditions.

Looking forward for a journal of your Shrimpies !!!

Welll, welcome to the forum, Gail... :hi:
When I started, there wasn't internet yet as well. So, much info came from my parents and literature. When I was older I also paid visits to certain endemic places on this globe to learn more about all kinds of fish (but livebearers are my main focus).
Happy to see a new member with lots of experience. Like you said: it's not a political forum overhere to keep it all friendly and accessible for everyone. And this is how we like to keep it. It should be about the aquatic hobby in general...
I love dwarf shrimps of all kinds. But I only keep a few easy strains.

Thank you all for the welcome!
But the seed shrimps... They are there forever.
That one made me smile. I gave up on trying to get rid of ostracods/seed shrimp - they would survive anything IMHO, just no way to get rid of them. They are not as creepy as the worms and actually are a good part of the biosystem of a tank. I have heard that they can kill snails if there are too many due to stressing the snails out, but I haven't really seen that. In my one Nano tank (5 gallon) with blue dream shrimp they are so cheeky that they don't even wait until dark to come out - they are out at all times, munching away at biofilm on the glass.

Hi Gail! I'm almost as old in hobby years as you but also new to TFF. Welcome!

1 of my favorite tanks was a cherry shrimp 10g. Just plants & RCS. That was my first intro to shrimp & they were very amusing.

I think fat red detritus worms may have killed an angelfish. I sucked up 1 during a water change. So, I threw it into the angel tank for a snack. 2 days later the "worm winner" died. Coincidence? I'm not sure...

Anyway, I'd love to see pics of your tank!

Thank you all for the welcome!

That one made me smile. I gave up on trying to get rid of ostracods/seed shrimp - they would survive anything IMHO, just no way to get rid of them. They are not as creepy as the worms and actually are a good part of the biosystem of a tank. I have heard that they can kill snails if there are too many due to stressing the snails out, but I haven't really seen that. In my one Nano tank (5 gallon) with blue dream shrimp they are so cheeky that they don't even wait until dark to come out - they are out at all times, munching away at biofilm on the glass.

Mmmmm ! The only tank I have that they are unable to colonize is the one ridden with snails, and it shows, seed shrimps are the best at keeping the glass sparkling clear.

yep... Pong was the only video / computer game going, back when I started fish... you either learned from trying & killing a lot things, or actually had to read books... & this was way before Kh & Gh were discussed, & I live in an area with rock hard water... so lots of the South American fish died by my hand... for some reason or another Piranhas seemed to thrive, but we had to give up on so many fish, that we just couldn't keep back then

Most reactions

Back