Loach ?

knobby

Reaction score
Hi all, first post.
I wondered if anyone could ID this loach... its a translucent orangey colour, approx. 7cm long and was suitable for cold water ( my tank is 30 gallon Biorb)
it lives happily in the tank with two gold barbs and two zebra danios.. so far anyway !

Cheers all
Gaz
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.holloway63/loach

loach.jpg

30 litre biorb not gallons I think?

CAE, golden one, will get aggressive and large. If kept in a good size tank should get 30cm.

I agree it is rather thin that one.
Probably does have a 30 LITRE becasue the largest biorb is a 60 litre.

Come on guys, don't split hairs you knew what I meant !!!!!! lol

:S

cheers
what do you mean thin???? lol, he does feed himself after all :lol:

Thin as in, underweight. He needs more than whatever algae you have- algae wafers, and meaty food like prawn.

so ! LOOKS LIKE THE FISH SHOP SOLD ME A WRONG UN THEN !

Do i take it back (if i can catch it) or keep him till hes about 2" then batter him
Only joking of course

Gaz

No that is not a loach. It is a golden chinese alage eater. They get up to 10 inches and are very aggressive. When they are adults they stop eating alage and atack fish. I have heard they will even take the eyes out of corydoras!!! :blink:

Am i being too optimistic in thinking that as it is in a smallish tank, that maybe it wont get big enough to pester the other fish ?

It may look thin, but its fatter than when i got it 2 weeks ago...
be gentle on me, i've only had a tank for 2 months, kept the water nice and clean, added 1 or 2 small fish each month etc. etc.

Gaz

No, it doesnt work like that. Dont worry lots of people have thought that. Many times have i heard people that have kept a Common plec and said that it wouldnt get big because it was in a small tank.
Take the lil dude back.

That's a lovely photo of a little Chinese Algae Eater :good:

Albeit on the thin side for sure. Sadly this small chap will grow into a much larger "monster" and you'd be better off taking him back to the shop sooner rather than later.

I suggest getting a couple of oto's instead to eat algae :)

Couple of pics of my own golden CAE that I eventually had to rehome. And an oto.

com09.jpg

156_5695ca.jpg

i have to say oto are cahrming littel fish...i have a few and there just so interetsing always up[to soemthing!

Will these ottos live in room temp tank, ie approx 21 - 22 degrees ?

Gaz

Most reactions

Back