Livebearer Identification

keithgater

Reaction score
Hi all.

My first post!! :blush:

My friend went out and bought me a new fish without telling me (because it was "pretty"), and added to my fully established freshwater aquarium. She got it from a mixed livebearer section. It is female, by lack of gonopodium, but wondered if anyone could guide me as to what it is?

My male yelow platy is not interested in her, and she is a bit aggressive to other female livebearers in the tank.

(She is in a breeding trap in order to takea decent picture.)

Any help will be welcome.

Many thanks,
Keith
25, Leeds, UK

Attachments

• DSC00381.JPG
    DSC00381.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 59
could be a dalmation molly? but not sure
no expert at all so would be intresing t see what other people say

Dalmatoin Molly. Looks kinda skinny though. Either she just gave birth, or she hasnt been fed very well at the lfs.

Defo a molly. The dorsal fin is placed farther back and a different shape, and the gills are a different shape, from a platy.

yea, definitely a dalmation molly . . . she looks exactly like the one i had except mines was a bit more darker

I know that they are the same species but is there any difference between dalmation and marble mollies? Do they just classify marbled mollies as dalmations with lyre tails? Because I have a bunch of marbles fry and there are so many on here that say it is dalmation.

I know that they are the same species but is there any difference between dalmation and marble mollies? Do they just classify marbled mollies as dalmations with lyre tails? Because I have a bunch of marbles fry and there are so many on here that say it is dalmation.

'dalmation' is just the term used for a black and white molly, whether that be a standard, lyretail, balloon or sailfin.
'Marble' is presumably just another common name given to that particular colour pattern

A dalmation molly is more spotted where a marble molly is more smudged type of spots which are more spread rather than dotted...

The fish in question is a dalmation molly.

It's deff a molly, you can tell by the dorsal fin. It is more than likely a mix of different kinds, i have a few like that one that are a mix of a black molly and a green speckled molly.

Most reactions

Back