Live Plant Advice

kris2112

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
im thinking of putting my first live plants in my 55g now it has been up and running for a while
i have a 20 a 25 and a 30 watt light in the hood.

just wondering whats a good plant to get me started

please ask if there is anything else u need to know thanks

i dont know if im correct, why not moss ball?

i like moss ball, they look fuzzy and attractive to some fish

Java moss, Java ferns, anubias, and Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne becketii. All of these are low light and easy to grow. You just attach the moss,fern,anubias to a rock or wood , with fishing string or something, and it will grow. the others you just stick in the substrate.

I sort of like Fishnoob's selection of plants but never attach my java moss to anything. The moss will grow just fine loose in the bottom of the tank. It may move around in the water flow until it settles somewhere but it will settle down and grow. I have no idea why those particular crypts, in general a cryptocoryne will grow if it gets any light.

I sort of like Fishnoob's selection of plants but never attach my java moss to anything. The moss will grow just fine loose in the bottom of the tank. It may move around in the water flow until it settles somewhere but it will settle down and grow. I have no idea why those particular crypts, in general a cryptocoryne will grow if it gets any light.
I know, I just liked those kind :shifty:

A note on crypt plants.. not sure if they ALL do this, but the ones I've come across all have.
When they're disturbed enough, the leaves will melt off. It gets pretty messy and looks awful, but the plant is still alive and should grow new leaves soon after.

You might be able to get away with getting an amazon sword.
We've had some in various watts and they've done very well. If you don't have a plant substrate, then root tablets will do. And I'd also add in liquid ferts for all of your plants. A general one with everything in it, and I've had lots of luck with adding extra potassium as well.

Most reactions

Back