Live Food

It depends a lot on what you want to use to feed your fish Dan. If you are used to using black worms, you need to be aware that their nutrient needs are well beyond the abilities of a typical hobbyist. On the other hand microworms/walterworms/bananaworms are easy to rear using nothing more than baby cereal and oatmeal as a growth medium. For vinegar eels the growth medium is nothing more than apple cider vinegar diluted to half strength with a sample of raw apple added to the culture. I have raised lots of microworms in the past but have recently become lazy and let my culture die. When they are growing, microworms make great newborn fry foods for typical egg layers. Another thing that can be raised by a typical aquarist is moina or daphnia. They are a bit bigger than microworms so they are usually used as live food for larger fry. The best way to raise daphnia is to feed them some green water algae and feed the largest of your colony quite regularly. Daphnia are very short lived so by removing the adults on a regular basis you will avoid a complete die off.

Thank you Oldman

was really just wondering about the easiest ones to grow for a tank I'm looking to set up in the near future. The information was very useful, thank you.

Most reactions

Back