Which type of freshwater testing kit do YOU prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After running back and forth to get my water tested at the LFS, I figured it would probably be more economic (and easier overall) to just buy my own test kits. However, I'm not entirely sure on whether I should invest in liquid or strip test kits.

So TFF, I got to ask: which one do you prefer? I would love to hear any endorsement or criticism of either. While I understand that each brand probably has its own pros and cons, I'm fine settling for the general picture (but if you guys have specifics on recommendations or what to avoid, be sure to put it down below!) 😁

After running back and forth to get my water tested at the LFS, I figured it would probably be more economic (and easier overall) to just buy my own test kits. However, I'm not entirely sure on whether I should invest in liquid or strip test kits.

So TFF, I got to ask: which one do you prefer? I would love to hear any endorsement or criticism of either. While I understand that each brand probably has its own pros and cons, I'm fine settling for the general picture (but if you guys have specifics on recommendations or what to avoid, be sure to put it down below!) 😁
I have found the liquid tests to be much more accurate than the strips. On several occasions, the strips have misled me. It’s worth the extra time to perform the liquid test.

I have neither, but when I collected with scientists. they used liquid. When I collected on my own, I got good readings with test strips, but at a much higher cost for the convenience.

Brands don't matter. The chemicals are the same.

Does liquid give a more precise measurement? I use strips, but I’ve been annoyed because my strips’ legend goes straight from zero nitrate (perfect) to 20ppm nitrate (no bueno). I don’t know what the level in my tank really is because any amount of nitrate is going to make it pink, but the lightest pink labeled is 20ppm.

Does liquid give a more precise measurement? I use strips, but I’ve been annoyed because my strips’ legend goes straight from zero nitrate (perfect) to 20ppm nitrate (no bueno). I don’t know what the level in my tank really is because any amount of nitrate is going to make it pink, but the lightest pink labeled is 20ppm.
The API liquid kit has a color for 5 ppm and higher.

Strips are better than nothing, and I occasionally use them just as a quick check to make sure all is well, but if you're serious about what's going on in your water, it's liquid tests all the way.

I seldom test my tanks once they've been up and running for a few months, but when starting a new setup, or when something is going wrong, liquid tests are indispensable.

Strips are better than nothing, and I occasionally use them just as a quick check to make sure all is well, but if you're serious about what's going on in your water, it's liquid tests all the way.

I seldom test my tanks once they've been up and running for a few months, but when starting a new setup, or when something is going wrong, liquid tests are indispensable.
I wish I had that confidence.
I test everyweek, my tests have shown the same results since about 1 month after setting up my tank.

5 or 6 in 1 strips do not contain ammonia tests, so if you do go for strips you'll need another tester for ammonia.

If you are interested in testing hardness (GH) strips include this but many liquid tester sets don't so they need to be bought separately. However some strip testers have an upper limit of 180 ppm (10 dH) and if water is harder than this it still reads as 180 ppm.
Unless GH is being altered (eg mixing tap and RO water to soften water or adding remineralisation salts to make water harder) regular testing for GH isn't necessary.

5 or 6 in 1 strips do not contain ammonia tests, so if you do go for strips you'll need another tester for ammonia.

If you are interested in testing hardness (GH) strips include this but many liquid tester sets don't so they need to be bought separately. However some strip testers have an upper limit of 180 ppm (10 dH) and if water is harder than this it still reads as 180 ppm.
Unless GH is being altered (eg mixing tap and RO water to soften water or adding remineralisation salts to make water harder) regular testing for GH isn't necessary.
Thank you for letting me know! Water hardness is actually the thing I've been testing for lately—good to know that most liquid tests don't.

I wish I had that confidence.
I test everyweek, my tests have shown the same results since about 1 month after setting up my tank.
It is always good to er on the side of testing more often. Once a week is great. In time you might develop that confidence to test less often, as you get to know your setup and your fish. But there is certainly nothing wrong with continuing to test regularly; I probably should much more often than I do.
I still test GH and KH every couple of months just to be sure that nothing I have added is altering the hardness. But overall, I agree.

Testing ranges from test strips to scientific equipment which cost $1,000s.

There are better and worse quality within this range. You can find quality test strips if you do not care about price. Here is a link to the Hach site for their test strips. Hach makes mostly high caliber scientific test equipment. So, if you want to use test strips with better accuracy, I would suggest the Hach ones will serve you well but may make your wallet/purse weep a bit.
https://www.hach.com/products/lab-e...ips?&fn1=CategoryLevel2_Facet&fv1=Test+Strips

Now if you want to get an idea of what much more accurate measurment costs, have a quick look here https://www.hach.com/parameters/ammonia?fn1=CategoryLevel1_Facet&fv1=Test+Kits+&+Strips#shopnow

I use The api master kit for nitrogen and for hardness I use nutrafin PH, KH and GH "refill" bottles bought separately.

Once I have my parameters to my taste, I use a 16 in one test strip and take that reading as the base for "good".

While the readings I obtain with the strip test regarding hardness and PH are off, they still give a mile stone for quick comparison.

They are excellent to detect total chlorine, free chlorine, chloramine, Fluoride, Cyanuric acids, QAC's.

If you have a planted tank they give a quick idea on iron and copper content.

They have their use for sure.

I use both. I typically use the strips if I'm looking for trends. I use the liquid 95% of the time though for accuracy.

I also want ta decent digital meter for PH. The cheap ones are cheap and never seem to calibrate.

Most reactions

Back