Lipid Looking Stuff On The Top Of My Water

constantine03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. In my 10 gallon divided betta tanks, I've been noticing a lot of lipid-like residues on the top of the water (greasy looking), and am wondering what it's from, and how I can get rid of it. I was thinking it was probably a factor of the divided tanks, plus the filter rate has been lowered since bettas don't do well in high currents. What else can I do to get rid of it? Water changes don't even do it bc it's right on the top...is this where a protein skimmer comes into play?

Protien skimmer are actually for marine or saltwater tanks and have very little or no use in freshwater and certainly nothing with bettas. What you need is a surface skimmer or activated carbon added to your filter. The scum on the surface could be organic waste or it could also be algae. Activated carbon does a good job of adsorbing organic waste and also limit the surface scum algae but for algae you need pretty strong light for it to occur.

Nim

I see. I've never had a marine tank, so didn't really know what the skimmers skimmed.

I have activated carbon in the filter as is. It's an aquaclear 20 filter on a 10 gal. So, a surface skimmer just attaches to the intake on my filter?

That makes sense. I'll have to go get one. Thank you! :)

I went and bought an aquaclear surface skimmer...but I must just be an idiot, b/c I can't get the thing to work. It doesn't come with flipping instructions, only pictures...Augh!

What are you needing help with hun exactly?

maybe this picture will help?
small_aquarium_filter_5.jpg

Hello

I had this problem recently, solved it by moving my filter up slightly so that the outflowing water disturbed the surface - seems to have worked a treat :)

It could be something as simple as the make of flakes you're feeding the fish.

It could also be something you had on your hands one day. Lotion residue, etc. The film will stay on the surface for days/weeks even if just a tiny amount was entered into the water.

Other than it looking bad, its usually not a sign of anything bad. I have actually used paper towels to remove it from the surface to determine if it will come back - which indicates a more significant problem.

Maybe this is completely off as they don't necessarily look greasy, but have thought of maybe that this film is the start of a bubble nest that the betta's are making?

Above post: I highly doubt it is a bubble nest, they are literally bubbles :)

you dont need a protein skimmer to remove the surface film.
Simply disturbing the water breaks the film down or some kitchen towels will remove it :)

Most reactions

Back