Link to medaka

Kimie

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm posting in the right place. but does anyone know a link to some on know where I can see the different rice fish medaka.
I'm going to buy eggs on ebay and there are so many different ones without a picture,
so I don't know the how it looks 🤗

Medaka linebreeding is the next big thing that seems to have bypassed North America. I don't think I missed anything, but they have become like guppies or bettas. I don't think English searches will get you a lot. The hobby seems bigger with Japanese or Mandarin speakers.

When I first saw fancy medaka, I thought they'd catch on. Then again, when I first saw cherry shrimp, I thought they'd never be popular. I'm no trend spotter.

Medaka linebreeding is the next big thing that seems to have bypassed North America. I don't think I missed anything, but they have become like guppies or bettas. I don't think English searches will get you a lot. The hobby seems bigger with Japanese or Mandarin speakers.

When I first saw fancy medaka, I thought they'd catch on. Then again, when I first saw cherry shrimp, I thought they'd never be popular. I'm no trend spotter.
I think you are right that it will be next like guppy.
medaka has only just seen the beginning of the development.
but the good thing about it is that I can have several kinds in nano. since I don't have space for a large aquarium

I've seen a few discussions of Betta and guppy breed sites, where posters want to see the standards, as you would for a dog show. We have members who are very knowledgeable about guppy type labels, for example.
The Medaka hobby is newer as these fish are very easy to keep in smaller tanks in energy price conscious places. Early in the hobby, people thought they were killifish, and they can be be kept similarly. But they tend to be social, and beyond easy to breed. I know a lot of forms have been created, and the names used for them are all over the place. The same colour form can have 10 different marketing names, and as with all linebreds, there's nothing to stop one seller from listing the same fish under several different names.
As we move to online fish buying models, we want a framework that doesn't exist. You have to trust your sellers. Personally, I'm not the trusting type.

The tiny and economically insignificant killifish hobby sells through local clubs where reputation matters. It's self policing, to a degree. It's breaking down though, as clubs become less popular. I see a proliferation of new names/labels on the e-bay type sites already. Fish are misidentified, names are made up, and money is made. That's about where the Medaka world seems to be.

I’ll be the 1st to say, I know nothing about them… most common ones appear to look like common feeder guppies… so are they all what they call “rice fish”
Looking on Dan’s fish site, he doesn’t currently have any in stock, but 80% of the different varieties, are just grey, and look like guppies to the untrained eye… I see he has had gold, black, and platinum, as well as over a dozen grey ones in the past…

Looks kind of like jumping in, with Enders, before they got so line bred???

Most reactions

Back