Lighting Questions (leds)

copps321

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 4'2'2' tank that currently has no lid or lights (http://www.ndaquatics.co.uk/pics/image/Price%20List/48x24x24%20tropical/48x24x24%20Japanese%20ash/48x24_hood_750.jpg) is the lid im thinking of getting but got a couple of questions on lighting it.

I want to use LEDs, but not sure what sort to get as there is loads (strips, spot lights, tubes) lol does it matter what kind. also really not sure on how many that i would need to light a 2ft deep tank any help would be appreciated also it would have live plants so is there anything special needed with them.

thanks for any help

Well if going with live plants then you wanna get some decent LED's with a good output suitable for plants, some people use strip leds and they're just terrible.

Well if going with live plants then you wanna get some decent LED's with a good output suitable for plants, some people use strip leds and they're just terrible.

so what sort would you suggest for the output needed?

I have the LED's from Aqua Illuminations. Mine are the super blues designed for reefs (because I have them on a reef) but they also make a white version for planted tanks. They have a newer light out called the Vega which is even more complex. Just what light you need depends on the tank and what you are going to do with it. I also have the Wave Point LED's on my small planted tank. The unit I have is the small one but they do make a larger Wave Point unit as well.

I have the LED's from Aqua Illuminations. Mine are the super blues designed for reefs (because I have them on a reef) but they also make a white version for planted tanks. They have a newer light out called the Vega which is even more complex. Just what light you need depends on the tank and what you are going to do with it. I also have the Wave Point LED's on my small planted tank. The unit I have is the small one but they do make a larger Wave Point unit as well.

the larger 12inch would that be enough to light a 4ft? seems small

Build your own mate, will cost you a 1/4 of what these companies charge.

They light a 36" square area for each light. I have three units on my 6' long tank.

Most reactions

Back