Lighting Options?

Jen_S

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going shopping for a new flourescent light later today. I have a 46 gal (US) bowfront tank. I've been using the light that came with the tank but as it's a planted tank, I would like to change the bulb that's better for the plants.

Here's the plants I have now: (it's a hodge podge)

Water sprite
red ludwigia
money wort
amazon swords
cambomba
hygrophilia difformis
red tiger lotus
a few unidentified (don't ask for pics of the individual plants LOL My camera stinks for closeups)

There are pics in my signature link (of all the tanks so you'll have to look)

Thanks in advance for any help! I have a Petco here in town but there is also a lfs that may have some other options. Petco's lighting options.

Oh, and I don't want to buy online. My other option is to go to Kansas City and hit Petsmart.

I assume that you are asking about what kind of light to buy LOL!

I am also setting up a similar sized bowfront tank, and I have been advised the following for plants:

In the back a daylight lamp (around 6500 K), and in the front a full spectrum, more blueish lamp (around 9000 K). In my case both have an UV-stop on it to reduce algae growth (I do not know whether this will actually work though!). The daylight lamp is optimal for plant growing, and the blueish one is for plant growing and bringing out the colours in your fish.

Additionally, I am thinking of installing some moonlights in the very front (advantage of having a bowfront!) for sunrise and sunset simulation.

If I only have room for one light, which would be the best option? My hood came with the tank and only has one light socket with a mirrored space beside it. It's a plastic hood and not glass. I'm not ready to invest big bucks either. That may come next year after I get a co2 system figured out.
Oh, and since you have the soam size tank, what length of light fits? LOL

In mine fit 90 mm tubes. If you want to go planted and have space for only one, then take the daylight lamp of around 6500K. Is the socket for a regular T8? Because with T5 linears you might be able to fit 2 in to get more wattage. Or otherwise maybe a compact?

I believe it's a T8 (1 inch in diameter). I was looking at drsfosterandsmith.com and the MANY different options did nothing but confuse me LOL.
I did go to the lps and bought a Flora-Sun bulb. It's 30 watts and 5000K (the most powerful one they had). Will this be ok? The water is also tinted by the peatmoss I'm filtering with (but the red serpaes look really red and not faded!). With the tinting from the tannins, the water looks darker also.
Oh, and a side thought, do tannins interfer with the spectrum of the light?

T 8 in 90 mm size is always 30 Watt. You will have slow growth with that, and for some of your plants it may not be enough. Just give it a try and adapt fertilisation accordingly.

I was never very good at physics, but I don't think the tannins interfere with the spectrum of the light. Maybe the light doesn't get as deep as it would otherwise.

Arcadia Freshwater tubes are quite good plant tubes. I run 2 of them along with a ZooMed Aqua Sun tube in my 180 litre tank.

Most reactions

Back