lighting heating water...

nikki_allen99

Reaction score
I have a smaller 5 gallon tank and the reason i stopped using it was because if I turned the light on for more than an hour it would start to heat up the water. I do not have this trouble with my lager tank. I took out the tube and the only thing on it says F8TS/D . I was wondering if maybe I can replace this with something that runs cooler?

You were probably using an incandescent bulb. They have a huge tendency to heat up the water especially with a small tank like a five gallon. A flourescent bulb would be better, they give off less heat. Other than that I would say use a desk lamp over the tank but put it at least 6 inches to a foot above the tank. That way the tank will be lit but won't be heated by the bulb.

Flourescent is also better for plants if you wanted to add some. Don't buy the bulbs that are supposed to convert incandescent lights to flourescent-- they are not safe and it would be safer to replace the hood.

Yeah i agree with the above 2 posts or I know someone who uses a small computer fan in the hood to cool his water in his nano. My 2 small tanks use normal light bulbs and dont seem to heat the water up that much...

Most reactions

Back