Lighting A Juwel Rekord 120

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elly

Reaction score
I just bought a Juwel Rekord 120 off ebay (£47 for the tank and stand - not a bad bargain!) but, as so often with Juwel tanks, the original light unit is broken.

My question is, would I be better off (both money-wise and in terms of longevity) getting another Juwel unit, or doing my own lighting? If the latter, would one long standard T8 tube be enough? Or should I go with a T5 tube? (Never tried these before, not really sure what the difference is). Also, how easy would it be to replace the juwel unit with my own lighting? Will there be space in the hood to just attach another bulb, or will I have to try and remove the juwel unit/alter it?

I've read the sticky post about trying to fix the Juwel light unit, but not sure I want to be messing around with wires and stuff, though I may consider it if all the other options are prohibitively expensive.

I'm planning on growing live plants, but fairly low-light varieties such as java fern, amazon sword, vallis and hygrophilia. The fish I'll be keeping are things like tetra, dwarf rainbowfish, barbs, maybe a few bolivian rams.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Most reactions

Back