light????

billy_69

Reaction score
just wondering what everyone thinks about buying a shop light figture for my hopefully soon to be fish tank. I seen one a home depot for 16.00, the only thing i cant find one that said anything about high wattage bulbs. the only one i found was one that said it uses 2 40 watters??? Just wondering if i could double that?? without burning my house down. I read about a cheap way of building a light ficture here is the link tell me what everyone thinks of it!!!

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/hoodcanop...donreefhood.htm

I've built shop lights into home made hoods, just remember to seal the light, or cover the tank where the light sits with plexiglass so the light or any electrical compinents are not exposed to moisture.

If fire from any sort of electrical malfunction is worrying you, install ground fault interrupter outlets. These have a small, built in breaker that trips with the slightest variation between the hot wire & the ground. They are required by law here in any new structure that has an outlet near water, like in the kitchen or bathroom. They are meant to prevent electrocution, they also will prevent a fire.

Tolak

thanks tolak

Im going to use a glass tank lid do u think that will be enough to keep the moiture down??? i also have buit a wood hood that will rap around the front and sides will that do ok with the home made light figture.

once agian thanks for the advice

Very good suggestion about the GFI outlets as well as the point of keeping the light or tank covered. I second that :p

As far as the wattage in your lights... your fish don't need much light at all. If your going to plant the tank the plants do though. There is a great thread explaining a lot about planting tanks and the plants needs. Click here to read it.

From what I know about plants two 40 W fluorescent bulbs should be plenty for just about any 4 foot tank.

Most reactions

Back