Light Problem

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danieljdavies

Reaction score
Hi,

I have set up my new tank recently and am currently doing a fishless cycle. The person who i bought the tank off explained that the tank light didnt work and it needed a new bulb. I bought a new bulb from the LFS and tested it, but no luck. Its an 8W 12" bulb.

The bulb is actually working as I have tested it in another persons tank, so im 99% sure its either the light fittings, or the power to the bulb. I know the main power supply box to the lighting is working as it is shared with the filter, which works fine, so i know some power is going through.

can anyone recommend what i could try, or whats my best option?? Even if it means buying a completely new light system (not sure what one would fit my tank??) I have a 30L Tank, so quite small

heres a pic of the fittings: http://tinypic.com/r/2j0bcpx/7

Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forum!

I had a similar problem with this recently in a Tropiquarium 86, that had its lighting and pump unit housed in the lid. In my experience, its normally an unservicable ballast unit that causes these failures.

I would also recommend checking your starter unit (a small, cylindrical and normally white block with a two pin fitting on the end, removable from the lighting unit) These can be picked up for pennies from most places (i recently bought a pack of two from Asda for about £2)

If the starter isnt the issue it could either be a wiring fault (sometimes tricky to find, and not really an option if you dont have any knowledge of electrics) or the main ballast unit (which is the problem i had with mine)

I havent replaced mine yet as im in the process of cycling thetank, so lights are unnecessary, however i plan to remove the lid "innards" and replace it with a twin lamp setup. These can be bought for around £20-£50 depending on the model, number of tubes, and power output. I think this is the norm when an internal light system fails beyond economical repair.

Maybe if you could post what you plan to do with the tank, someone with a bit more expereince of what lights do what, can advise on the best setup as a replacement.

All the best.

Ben

Most reactions

Back