Lfs Bettas

starrynightxxi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I know none of us like to see animals suffering at the stupidity of the people involved, and I don't mean any offense, but i recently saw an online petition to stop Wal*mart (and probably other such companies) from selling bettas and it occurred to me that even while these things are happening, other people continue to "rescue fish". After rescuing (buying) the fish, they come and rail about the treatment in forums. I don't mean to start any fights, but maybe the most effective way to change the system is to simply not buy those bettas. Yes, it's hard to walk by them, but by purchasing one, you only create a void that has to be filled by another unlucky fish. As long as the vacuum remains, it will only continue to get filled. So by rescuing one fish, you are dooming another to pain, sickness, and death.

I'm as guilty of "rescuing" as anyone else, but all it adds up to at the end of the day is a profit in the pockets of big companies, and a few angry words on a web forum that are easily ignored.

I see what you're saying, a lot of people feel the same way. But the way I see it, whether you buy that sick betta or it dies on the shelf its still making room for them to get a new fish. At least you're making a difference to that one betta you rescued.

I see what you're saying, a lot of people feel the same way. But the way I see it, whether you buy that sick betta or it dies on the shelf its still making room for them to get a new fish. At least you're making a difference to that one betta you rescued.
That's how I feel about it. At least you make a difference in one little fish's life, and then they dont have to die...

Yes but when you buy a sick fish, Walmart or whoever profits. My opinion... us better-knowledgable aquariasts aren't going to make a difference to Walmart sales if we stop buying. Their sales will continue because the majority of their customers are average consumers whose fish knowledge comprise of what they are told at Walmart stores.

After saying that though, I still would never knowingly buy a sick fish. And if I see consistently poorly kept tanks or conditions, I always either talk to the owner or manager and/or write a letter to the company. By the way, my betta did come from a Walmart, but has always been healthy.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is... it doesn't matter to Walmart, whether or not you buy that single fish. But I don't buy sick fish. I write to the company instead.

The real profit comes when you buy the supplies for your new rescue from Walmart, not when you buy the fish. They reorder the same amount of fish every week whether they're dying on the shelves or being bought, as long as there's space new fish will be coming in. Sure, they might make $3 or so on that fish you bought, but what they're really interested in is the $15 tank you might buy, or the dechlor and food.

If you really care, rescue the fish, but be sure to give them an earful about it, and get your supplies elsewhere.

i agree with this 100%.

The real profit comes when you buy the supplies for your new rescue from Walmart, not when you buy the fish. They reorder the same amount of fish every week whether they're dying on the shelves or being bought, as long as there's space new fish will be coming in. Sure, they might make $3 or so on that fish you bought, but what they're really interested in is the $15 tank you might buy, or the dechlor and food.

If you really care, rescue the fish, but be sure to give them an earful about it, and get your supplies elsewhere.

as for this... this is true of what bettabum was saying. the fish will sit there regardless and die on the shelf whether you buy it or not. as for the merchandise... that is where their profit is. if you buy the goods, then you are contributing. let them see that they aren't making much by buying the betta, but spending the big bucks in a different store. even spread out the purchases to different stores if you want to decrease the amount of sales one store gets off of that one fish.

An lfs near to me took note when someone complained about keeping bettas in small traps in big tanks they stopped doing it for few years....they have now started again but the fish fly off the shelves so fast they are only in them a day or two. I always moan if the fish are in a bad condition and the sales assistants say they have the same amount come in every time. This is regardless of how many were sold the previous order. So I take the point that fish generate hardly any profit at all. It is the heaters tanks etc which are profit makes. I go to my local shop so much that he gave me discount on the heater I brought the other day which took the price down from nearly £25 to just under £22. This is the shop where I had a really good moan about the female bettas I bought which lasted about 4 days and had awful white spot.

I have got much more knowledgeable since I have been on this forum so can talk to them more about fishkeeping. :good: :good:

Actually, they DO make a massive profit on the Bettas. A LFS wanted to buy some of my Bettas, and they told me that Veiltail Betta "farms" sell them huge package deals, for a few cents each. But, they definitely are interested in getting you to buy supplies. I especially love the 24 oz dual Betta hex that is the same price as a glass 10 gallon! -_-

The only pet store Betta I have is a CT from Petsmart. My friend works in the aquarium section, and he just wanted me to take him and treat his fin rot to keep him from dying. He's 100% healthy now, he truly is not as active, healthy, or vigorous as my breeder Bettas are, and I don't believe he will ever be... but of course I love him the same! I compare "rescuing" Bettas from crappy stores to "rescuing" puppies/kittens from pet stores. Either way, you're giving them money for a sick animal that they neglected - and that teaches them nothing! :( I highly advise, if you want to rescue, to talk for a looong time to the manager about the dying/diseased fish and they'll likely give it to you.

they dont at ours..just say they will take them downstairs to recover

my local pet shop is very good though it gave me a hamster about 5 years ago. she had half an ear and an injured eye due to a fight..she settled in lovely and lived for ages....

What do you think happens to all the other fish shops import but aren't sold? Just because they only sell 20 out of 100 danios, doesn't mean they'll decide 'ooh, better not order any more danios in, ever'. Any bettas no one buys are left to rot on the shelves, conviniently meaning theres plenty of room for the next order.
The amount of profit made from bettas is tiny compared to the amount made from your weekly grocery shopping, home appliances or CD/DVDs. But very few people think about that. I'm no good with american money, but assuming a betta costs $5, the shop will, most likely, make more profit on $5 worth of bread (a typical supply) than the betta.
You could equally say 'lets stop giving money to charity, not much gets to the people who need it and if we stop, the government will have to do something about it'. But they won't, and lots of people die. Same kinda thing.

Make a scene, people! Ask to speak to the manager and threaten to speak with a higher authority. Get a FREE betta; don't buy it. It's what I had to do when PetCo put a betta in a 10 gal. with about 4 fantail goldfish. The poor thing didn't have a tail, and when I say "didn't have a tail," I mean, it had no tail. Zero, nada, zip. Sadly, he died, however.

see places around me don't do that sort of thing. the places most of my resues came from is not far from NYC and a lot of not care money is supreme attitudes have come into the area. businesses are greedy and wouldn't care here so i have to buy it to save its life.

Most reactions

Back