Lethargic White Cloud

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some neon tetras and some white clouds today as well as a snail, all of them are okay except for one of the white clouds which is laying on his side in one of the corners of the tank.
I did proper aclimatisation which turned out to be good for all the fish but for this one.
They all seemed fine in the petstore but since i put him in a new bag for aclimatisation floating in the tank, he's been so slow and now he's just there, still breathing, laying on his side.
What could have caused this?

How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Does he look bloated?
Does he look pale, or darker in colour.
Is he having rouble getting of the bottom, or top of tank?
Is he eating?
Check for red streaking on fins, or body.
Hows the fish breathing? Is it shallow, or fast?
When he does swim can he maintain balance in the water?
Does he dart around tank, also turn upside down?

WILDER said:
How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Does he look bloated?
Does he look pale, or darker in colour.
Is he having rouble getting of the bottom, or top of tank?
Is he eating?
Check for red streaking on fins, or body.
Hows the fish breathing? Is it shallow, or fast?
When he does swim can he maintain balance in the water?
Does he dart around tank, also turn upside down?

How many gallons is the tank please? 18 gallons
How many fish and which type? About 20 at the moment, about to turn 14 because i'm selling the guppys. Guppy, pleco, neon tetra, white clouds and a snail.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Just did a 100% water change to introduce new fish so the parameters ar all great.

Does he look bloated? A bit more than the other yes he does.
Does he look pale, or darker in colour. No, similar to most of the others.
Is he having rouble getting of the bottom, or top of tank? Yes, he doesn't move from the bottom of the tank.
Is he eating? No, he doesn't move.
Check for red streaking on fins, or body. Nothing.
Hows the fish breathing? Is it shallow, or fast? Very fast.
When he does swim can he maintain balance in the water? No, he swims a little and then starts to decay.
Does he dart around tank, also turn upside down? Yes.

Ando now he's dead, stopped breathing. I need an explanation for this death, i don't think i did anything wrong!

Bless Him. It didn't sound to good for him.
Sorry for your loss.
R.I.P.

It sounds like he was already ill before you bought him.
Or his swim bladder was damaged while catching him.
Did he try to swim but just had now energy and fell back to the bottom of the tank?

Sorry for your loss! Temperature is sometimes the cause of problems with white clouds. They like temperate water. 

its better to drip the water into the bag besides just floating the bag, you have to get the fish use to the water before just throwing it in. try that next time and you're good.

WILDER said:
Bless Him. It didn't sound to good for him.
Sorry for your loss.
R.I.P.

It sounds like he was already ill before you bought him.
Or his swim bladder was damaged while catching him.
Did he try to swim but just had now energy and fell back to the bottom of the tank?
Yes indeed.

BerryAttack said:
its better to drip the water into the bag besides just floating the bag, you have to get the fish use to the water before just throwing it in. try that next time and you're good.
I did that as well with a airline tube as I always do, the others are fine, that's not the cause of the problem.

Did you add water to the bag. As I assumed with having fish before you knew the procedure.
PH Shock can take a while to kill fish. Up to 2 weeks.
I agree that tcamos that ,minnows are really cold water fish.

Keep an eye on the other fish. 
If anymore problems don't hesitate to post back on your thread.

Good Luck.

Sorry again for your loss.

I believe you that you drip the water into the bag. But here some information on PH Shock.
Hopefully it's a one off. It sounded more like swim bladder to me. But fish can also show some of the 
swim bladder symptom when there dying.

H Shock

As its name suggests this condition occurs when a fish is introduced to quickly into a new environment which has a very different pH from the one it came from, when the pH is adjusted to quickly and the fish have little or no time to adjust themselves, or when the pH is to far outside the fishes normal range.

It is very important that any change in water chemistry is made slowly and fish should never be exposed to changes of pH greater than 0.5 of one unit on the pH scale in either direction.

Avoidance is by far the best solution because in most cases the symptoms don't appear until the second or third day by which time the damage has been done and the fish will probably die.

A fish suffering from this condition will show all the typical signs of shock -

Lying on the bottom and paying little or no attention to its surroundings and ignoring potential threats. 
It may even lay on its side or go upside down completely. 
There could be other signs to, related to Acidosis and Alkalosis 
Excessive mucus production. 
Rapid breathing. 
Swollen abdomen. (Alkalosis only).
If the condition is allowed to go on for one or two days then the chances of a successful remedy are greatly reduced because a lot of damage will have taken place. If the symptoms are spotted early enough there are a couple of things that will help.

Begin to return the pH to the original pH in steps of 0.4 of one unit on the pH scale and allow 3 hrs in between the adjustments. Make these adjustments until the pH is returned to a safe and satisfactory level. 
Treat the tank with a broad spectrum anti-Bacteria/Fungus compound to prevent secondary infections of the Skin and Gills.
Prevention is easy. A successful treatment isn't!
PH SHOCK LINK
http://groups.msn.co...th/phshock.msnw
http://puffernet.tri...acteriosis.html 

Okay so two more fish look lethargic. One of them had been upside down heavily breathing for a long time, the other just stays there. Both of them still move around sometimes, more than the other from yesterday but I think they're going to die as well. What the heck is wrong with these fish or what did i do wrong!

Sadly it can happen to newly bought fish. It quite common to lose than in a few days of adding them to the tank.
It could be stress due to a new home.
I would phone the LFS and ask them how long they had the fish in store before they sold them to you.

Most reactions

Back