Leave House Heating On When Away?

swrzzzz

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 200L tank with what I think is a 300W heater (it came new with the Rena tank) running at 75F.

We are in the UK midlands

If we go away for a week at this time of year do I need to leave the house heating on for the fish or can I save a bit of C02?

Ta

Steve

I'm also in the UK Midlands (Nottingham). Your fishtank heater will take care of keeping the water at the right temp.

yea thats right. your heater has a built in thermostat which means when the water temp goes down then the heater kicks in.

Interesting general question, don't you think? If you install a tank heater with the kind of wattage that is recommended to be correct, will it maintain temp properly even if you seriously turn down the heat while on vacation/holiday, like say a house temp of 16-17C/60-62F?

we go away a couple times a year and get friends to pop in and check on our fish (auto fish feeder on top anyway) never have a problem with the internal heating of the house. the temp might fluctuate +/- a degree but nothing major.

As someone who hates having the house heating on dues to costs involved and have experienced low temps as suggested by waterdrop I can say my tanks have not been affected. If they have my fish haven't told me :p

Thanks all.

I realised the heater had a thermostat, but I am not sure what the maximum difference between the outside temperature and water temperature can be before the tank starts to cool.

I'll turn the heating off and ask a neighbour to pop in and check after a couple of days.

Ta

Steve

it'll be fine, we have no central heating, just got a gas fire downstairs where the tank is. obviously we can't leave that on while we go away, never had a problem leaving the fish for a week or so so it's fine.

Hi

I have a 200L tank with what I think is a 300W heater (it came new with the Rena tank) running at 75F.

We are in the UK midlands

If we go away for a week at this time of year do I need to leave the house heating on for the fish or can I save a bit of C02?

Ta

Steve
Perhaps turn the thermostat on the central heating down to 10 or even 5. We might get another cold snap and you wouldn't want your central heating pipes to burst if they freeze solid. No personal experience on this but that's what a plumber told me. Only time I ever turned it off in winter I lost all my house plants - fish were fine though :rolleyes:

Interesting general question, don't you think? If you install a tank heater with the kind of wattage that is recommended to be correct, will it maintain temp properly even if you seriously turn down the heat while on vacation/holiday, like say a house temp of 16-17C/60-62F?

It will be fine I run basically the same setup a 55gal with a 300watt heater. Its normal for the temp to drop down to 59-62F at night during the winter and the tank will stay stable at 79F with no problems.

Most reactions

Back