Leaky Aquarium

cjc75

Reaction score
I've got an Eclipse 3, 37 Gallon tank by Marineland; it was one of their "combo packages" that I picked up at a LFS a little over a year ago... back when I decided that I wanted to try something that was a little larger then my old 29 Gallon. I decided on this particular tank because its an outstanding tank to use with Rope Fish; its entire one piece lid/filter system leaves absolutely no holes for them to try to escape out of...

Anyway; its got a great filtration system; very powerful and does an excellent job.

The only catch is, when it pumps the water into the filter bin; it fills up the bin so much before getting to the bio wheel; that the water occasionally drips out over over the edge, and often out the back of the tank and down the outside. I come home from work and find the surface area around where the tank is sitting, is all wet. When I try to pull the filter out; there is so much water filled over it that as soon as I left it up, it spills half the water out over the edges, back into the tank or out the back and down the outside!

Originally, I thought that this was happening because I wasn't sitting the filter down into its bin correctly... but after making sure its in there right, these leaks and drips are still happening and its still filling up with so much water.

I saw the same tank at a LFS near me; they had it set up as a "show tank" so I lifted its lid to take a look and the water level over their filter is significantly lower then mine. When I aked them if they had any similar problems, they said they have never heard of such a problem with that tank.

Could my water level in the tank itself possibly be the cause, too high maybe?

Has anyone else had similar problems with similar tanks?

Most of the time when this happens its because of two reasons. I hope I don't offend, but the flooring your tank sits on is probably not level. Or my dilemma , the filter is missing the little doohicky that adjusts its leveling against the tank. Try those, but if that's not it then I would guess your system might of been a recall model and that is why it was on sale.

Sorry, good luck!

Actually, a friend of mine had the exact same problem and cut a trench at the front of the filter section (before the biowheel). So if the filter section overflows, it just overflows back to the tank. I can get a pic or do a diagram if you need. It seems to be a common problem, but it has an easy fix.

WendyWC,

I love your idea, I never thought of that! I think that would probably be a good thing to do on mine too.

Thanks, glad this is useful.

Here's a picture of the notch he cut. About an inch wide and no more than a quarter inch down.
4cc2rgp.jpg

330z5o0.jpg

Also, in case you're wondering he put the two river rocks on the left side of the filter to cut down the splashing noise of the water there.

Most reactions

Back