Large Tank In Apartment

How rubbish is this........

The apartment people just called to say they have had an engieer chaeck the floor out and he has said that the max weight load is 1.5kn m2????

What does this mean???

iirc that'd be 150kg per square metre. 10 newtons force is aprox. 1kg iirc. So you have 1500 newtons per m2 which would be 150kg ... someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

well i wont be getting that tak ow but been looking at a jewel rio400 do you think that would be ok i kow its still very heavy but nothing like the 600litre one

so i cat even take my 140litre tak then lol, oh wat!!

I think you need to go and talk to the head guy this time! Tell him what tank you may be getting and how much they weigh.

-FHM

Did you actually mention the aquarium to them? It's possible that what you have been given is an average, or the minimum. It's possible that there are areas (near the walls) where the strength of the floors is greater.

I'm not sure about what weight your apt. can take but a quick question. . .how long do you expect you'll be living there? I cannot imagine setting up a huge tank in an apartment if there would be any chance of not staying there for many years.

At 14kg per sq foot load wouldn't you fall through the floor everytime you walked around??

Tbh, this figure wont even be average, the world is so wrapped up in red tape these days, the ammount will be hugely under estimated, so that you dont sue them when the appartment falls down

^That is true!^

I think you will be fine with the 400, if not the 600!

-FHM

If you set up the tank near the outside wall of your apartment, then I think you will be just fine. The trusses go right into the wall, which would provided more than enough support.

-FHM

so againest a brick wall i take it would be the best bit and then placed across the beams

so againest a brick wall i take it would be the best bit and then placed across the beams
You should be able to park a car there! :lol:

Sounds good! :good:

-FHM

I don't remember exactly, but the vertical strength of wood is phenomenal in relation to its size. I figured out how much vertical weight an average 2x4 could handle, and it was upwards of 800 pounds if me memory serves me correct? And your floor is built with larger wood than 2x4's :lol:

-FHM

But as ever, doing so is at your own risk and what people have said here is mainly opinion. Without seeking advice from a qualified proffesional, noone here can know for sure.

Most reactions

Back