Large fish for planted tank

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I really want something like an Oscar/Flowehorn etc. for my 55 gallon tank. It is heavily planted and I am aware that most large cichlids are likely to destroy plants. My question is, is it likely they would destroy everything in here, or is there a chance some things like the Vals/Swords would stay put? I wouldn’t be opposed to having to add maybe Java fern and things glued to the rocks, but I would also be kind of annoyed if 100% of the plants were destroyed. So what do you guys think, would an Oscar etc. obliterate every plant in here, or will I be left with some greenery?

Attachments

• A4711F2E-5DD0-426C-9074-0528356B70B9.jpeg
    A4711F2E-5DD0-426C-9074-0528356B70B9.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 26
100% fully planted set ups like this and big cichlids are not a good idea. You can keep plants with some cichlids but you have to set it up specifically with them in mind your carpeting and smaller plants for example would be uprooted pretty quickly.

I’m okay with the carpeting plants going, they’re not true aquatic plants and uproot them self all the time anyway. Would things like the Swords and Vals survive? Would it be worth uprooting them and adding weights or would that disrupt there roots and make them less stable?

Ok so that could work with your swords and java ferns thats possible. Things like Crinums and Apogongetons are good candidates being bulb plants but its all about how you scape it. I'll grab you some good examples in a sec.

First though lets work out what you want. At the moment you have Angels and Neons, and you only just got them right? If you want a more bruiser of a cichlid all of those will have to go? Have you considered that?

Do you want a wet pet - as in one cichlid maybe with a few tank mates or do you want a community of cichlids? An Oscar is not suitable in a 55 you want to be thinking minimum 75 but ideally a good sized 5-6 foot tank like a 120-180. I'm not sure on Flowerhorns as their adult sizes vary so much and are often best kept in a bare tank because of their various health conditions. Do you know your water hardness? I'd guess soft given your existing fish, how do you feel about something like a Green Terror, possibly a female Red Terror or something like a Royal Acara - Aequidens Diadema?

Wills

Hi Wills,

Yes I am well aware all the current fish will have to go. I am constantly changing the fish, I get bored very quickly 😅.

Some examples would be great!

What I’m after is something as large as possible and more of a wet pet as you say. Something with personality to have the tank to itself. Ideally 7/8 inches +

As I say it is constantly changing, so wouldn’t have a problem rehoming if it got too big…

I'd just maybe have a think about what you actually want from the hobby as you are moving very fast. You only got those Angels I think last week? And you are talking Colin in an other thread from this weekend about what looks like a Columnaris outbreak in the tank.

These are living animals that we have the privilege to share a home with. Not an object to be moved around as it suits us. Keeping fish should be a real experience where you feel closer to nature and take a lot of pride in the fact you get to share in the lives of your fish, cichlids are a great way of doing it but when you take them on its a commitment that should span years (all being well - sometimes even when you do your best you can face adversity).

A well researched tank and plan should give you a long term enjoyment, with cichlids the excitement of bringing them home and observing their personality is fantastic for the first stage but as they grow into adolescence it takes a whole new level as their colours and finage develop and eventually after you have raised this stunning adult animal you get rewarded with an intelligent pet, the recognises you and interacts with you. Before long you will likely have a bond that will be on par with any other kind of pet.

I think you need to work this out a bit more before we suggest ideas as it will save you a lot of time, attachment and money. And the fish being moved around so much and all the risks with that. Don't get me wrong sometimes rehoming can be the best option, I've just moved some fish on myself but that was after 12-18 months rather than a few days/weeks. I'd recommend watching some of George Farmers recent videos, he discusses this topic really well.

The disease outbreak seems to be under control following salt and medication treatment. I will continue to monitor them for the coming weeks…

Regarding the constant changes, I enjoy keeping a range of fish that aren’t always compatible. I always ensure the fish are free from disease & rehomed as stress free as possible, and ideally to close friends with suitable tanks.

A large cichlid is something I would really like to try and isn’t something I’d go ahead with for at least a couple of months. I like to do lots of research before hand. In the future I would like to have a number of large tanks in order to have a variety of set ups but unfortunately this isn’t financially possible right now :)

Uarus are big but not much at tearing up plants. Altum Angelfish get pretty big and are not a problem with plants. Sometimes Severums ignore sword plants..depends on each fishes personality I guess and if you give them some kind of balanced foods.
55 gallons is not that large and you might be better with some of those electric blue Acaras and that sized cichlid.

Most reactions

Back