Kuhli Loaches (And Some People Think That You Never See Them!)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

3l3ctric

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
(I'm kidding also, by the way - it's true that in some tanks, or with certain batches, you really never do see them)

Pictured variously: One "Eel Loach" (pangio anguillaris), two "Kuhli Loaches" (pangio kuhlii), two "Brown Kuhli Loaches" (pangio oblonga). My brown kuhlis regularly do laps around the tank, but my striped kuhlis don't usually. Recently I caught the striped ones doing more of a dance than I've ever seen them do. I was REALLY excited that they might make some babies, but I never really saw true 100% spawning behaviour (but I didn't stay up all night either). I'm still hoping that some eggs were produced and I'll have a few little surprises some day... but I know it's doubtful. Despite being different types, all of them get along well, curl up together, forage for food together, etc.

Pictures!
5554900368_1ded916c23.jpg

5554900508_17545db224.jpg

5554316759_71eda3e848.jpg

You can see all but one striped kuhli in these:
5554901046_4fa5ef8b6d.jpg

5554317369_240ab5fd49.jpg

5554901588_3a5a5787cf.jpg

I love the markings on your striped khulis. I have six of these and they rarely do laps of the tank, they used to do it more often but not so much anymore.

Very impressive :good:

Keith.

i am currently debabting on getting a few of these guys and i think you just made my mind up, the striped ones are stunning :good: do they all shoal together as i am thinking 3 black 3 striped

i am currently debabting on getting a few of these guys and i think you just made my mind up, the striped ones are stunning :good: do they all shoal together as i am thinking 3 black 3 striped

I don't think that the black ones and the striped ones always hang out so happily. Even with my group, I'd say I generally see the striped pair together more separated from the black pair. But, they do often curl up together under the same wood and ornaments and they do forage for food together and sometimes do laps together in this tank. Previously, in my 20 gallon, they separated more (but they were also less happy/comfortable I think, and I saw them much less).

I think they would probably find it ideal to have 6 of one type or the other, but I think 3 of each is probably fine. I started out with a slightly larger group of striped ones, but a couple just didn't make it long (they came from a different shop). I never found more than two black ones, so I had to settle. I find my black ones to be more active, but my striped ones are pretty close and they really do look great.

In short: 3 of each is probably fine, and they are really awesome fish :D If they are comfortable in your tank (no predators, lots of hiding space, gravel or sand that lets them forage) I think they will be more comfortable together and in smaller groups and you will see them more.

no worry on pretators as there only tank mates would be bettas :good:

the only thing i am worried about is the ones in my LFS are TINY like 2" at most :rolleyes:

i will probably end up with all blacks unless my lfs is planning on some striped :unsure:

no worry on pretators as there only tank mates would be bettas :good:

the only thing i am worried about is the ones in my LFS are TINY like 2" at most :rolleyes:

i will probably end up with all blacks unless my lfs is planning on some striped :unsure:

The black ones obviously aren't as colourful, but I've found that in my old tank setups they were the ones that I saw the most. They were more active and bold. Don't know if this is usually the case though.

As for the babies being very small - I think that's common. My black ones were a bit bigger when I bought them, but my striped guys were tiny. At least as small as 2", if not smaller. They grow quite fast and get more comfortable in your tank with time.

Most reactions

Back