Kubotai rasbora native tank mates

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The Aqua One Horizon 130 is big enough for at least 12 kubotai rasboras. I have mentioned that the tank will be a biotope based on the Songgaria River in Western Thailand-recreating the fish's natural habitat. Possible tankmates will include native species from the Rasbora family. Are there any species that are native or introduced to the Songgaria River that are in my local fish stores in my city?

Did you check out the Seriously Fish profile or the Biotope websites that I showed you before?

Also the 130 is big enough for a much bigger school than 12 Kubotai's - I'd have 20 as my starting point.

Wills

Did you check out the Seriously Fish profile or the Biotope websites that I showed you before?

Also the 130 is big enough for a much bigger school than 12 Kubotai's - I'd have 20 as my starting point.

Wills
Yes I did. Does my LFS sell those tank mates? How many fish can you put in the 130 maximum?

Last edited:
Yes I did. Does my LFS sell those tank mates? How many fish can you put in the 130 maximum?
I mean there is no way I can know if they are in your LFS, you'd have to go check it out.

Which species did you find on the profiles that you liked?

In terms of total stocking in a 130 litre tank I'd have no trouble with 40 Kubotai Rasboras but that would just be a one species tank - if you wanted other species it would be less.

Wills

I mean there is no way I can know if they are in your LFS, you'd have to go check it out.

Which species did you find on the profiles that you liked?

In terms of total stocking in a 130 litre tank I'd have no trouble with 40 Kubotai Rasboras but that would just be a one species tank - if you wanted other species it would be less.

Wills
I'll stock probably 25 kubotai rasboras in the tank and 15 or less other tank mates in terms of size. I'll get a group of Akysis vespa if they are native to their area. They are 4cm long, which is big enough for the 130. I might base my biotope on the Hanthayaw/Suriya River instead because Akysis vespa and the kubotai rasboras might live in the same area.

Ambastaia sidthimunki (dwarf chain loach) work really well with them. Not sure if they are found in the same body of water but they are from Thailand. These also are best in a big group - ideally 10+

Ambustaia sidthimunki, occurs in the Chao Phraya and Mekong basins in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. According to Kottelat [Kottelat, Maurice (2012), "Conspectus cobitidum: an inventory of the loaches of the world (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitoidei)," Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement 26, pp. 1-199:

Ambastaia sidthimunki (Klausewitz, 1959), type locality: brooks of northern Thailand ["Loom district, Yom River"; Eschmeyer & Fricke, 2010, no source stated] [Phetchaburi Province: probably Lom Sak district, 16°46'46"N 101°14'32"E]​

Most reactions

Back