Koi With White Sore

shadowspar

Reaction score
i noticed today while feeding my fish that my koi has a spot protruding on the left side at the end of his stomach. it has some missing scales and is white in that spot. what is this? should i hospitalize him? what can help him heal?

If the spot is white in colour with missing scales in the same area I highly suggest you remove it from the pond and treat it as a small juvenile koi I had died fairly quickly as a result of these symptoms.

I suggest purchasing the Ntlabs paramedic kit for treating the wound. The kit contains 'koi calm' for calming down the fish after it has been removed by net from the pond, 'ulcer swab with brush applicator' for disinfecting wounds/infections and 'wound seal' for covering the wound so water cannot reach it and irritate it further. The product can be found here: [URL="http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=27"]http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/product_details.php?product_id=27[/URL]

The product comes with a treatment guide so it will explain how to treat the wound in a step-by-step format.

It is likely that a parasite has caused the wound/irritation so I suggest treating the pond with a parasiticide (Waterlife's 'Sterazin P' is a good product) to prevent parasites from clinging to your other fish and causing wounds to occur on their skin too. Pond salt can equally eradicate parasites and is a more natural method to use.

Without this treatment I'd say the koi you have will only survive for another 2 weeks if it is juvenile, slightly longer if it is adult.

Best of luck.

thanks for the reply, the koi actually is completely healed up. a day after i saw it the area flattened up. day after that the scales were all back. he seems to be doing very well. i think i might have just been a scrape. i might do a salt treatment for the pond sometime.

thanks for the reply, the koi actually is completely healed up. a day after i saw it the area flattened up. day after that the scales were all back. he seems to be doing very well. i think i might have just been a scrape. i might do a salt treatment for the pond sometime.

I'm really glad to hear that. Doing a scrape may be beneficial to help establish what, if anything, caused the problem.

yeah it would be benificial IF i had a microscope to look at it.

Most reactions

Back