Killer So Called "honey Gourami"

spazzinout

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok well about three weeks ago when i finished cycling and testing the water in my new 10 gallon tank, (im a beginner), i bought 2 male guppys and a honey gourami, he was very dark red and didnt look anything like the honey gourami pictures online

the guppys died in a few days, so i went to the pet store i got 2 more, they died too!
now that im reading online i see that only true honey gouramis are peacefull, and that the collored ones tend to be agressive

i took the gouarmi out of the tank now that ive read that, and the two guppys are fine. What should i do with the gourami though?

im trying to keep my tank more planted, with only a few fish,

so far the gourami's in a little bowl with no filter, i got two more guppys that i really like so i dont want him doing anything with them,

should i return the gourami? but then i want another, should i try to find a real honey gourami? or what other beginner show-off type fish could i put in? :/

thanks

See if you can return the gourami, or else get him a decent tank with filter/heater. You could try a few cherry barbs with your guppies, or maybe just add to the guppy population. Sometimes if there are only 2-3 males, they'll get picked on by the larger/stronger one, so it's best to have 5-6 of them.
Have you actually seen the gourami chasing or nipping the guppies?

hey thanks, well i returned the gourami, they i bought him for 6, they gave me 5 back, not to bad,
yes i saw the gourami nipping the guppy,and to my suprise once the gourami was gone, the guppys had babys!
yay!

dwarf gouiramies or maybe a pearl. they are good with guppies. i have one and he is a little chicken. runs away from my guppies and hides. its funny to watch. anyway good luck with it all.
community

Avoid dwarves, or male dwarves at least, you often hear of them having a temper;
Then again my female dwarfs try (unsuccesfully) to bully their gourami tankmates. So i think its the species as a whole.
Try a colisa labiosa, thick lip gourami, golden variety is commonly available but often labelled as a honey gourami. These are easily the most peaceful of the colisa.
True honeys are gorgeous fish but they tend to be more shy than peaceful.

i have a "killer" gourami as well in my tank but my balloon molly keeps him in check! lol its funny cause my molly is small n the gourami is huge..my molly chases him away..but i used to have like 8 guppies n the were all eaten..i only have 2 left now

I have a honey gourami with guppy fry..they do just fine oddly enough. i think he thinks he is their cool uncle Kenny hahaha.
He does like to attack new fish though...like the neons i got a few weeks back

Most reactions

Back