Khuli Loaches And Light?

WLuke93

Reaction score
I currently have 3 khuli loaches that are at the moment in a temporary tank while i wait for my 200L, they seem fine but when ever i turn the light on the tank they all seem to go beserk and dash about like gizmo from gremlins :L but then leave it a few minutes and they settle, is there a reason they do this? :L

I currently have 3 khuli loaches that are at the moment in a temporary tank while i wait for my 200L, they seem fine but when ever i turn the light on the tank they all seem to go beserk and dash about like gizmo from gremlins :L but then leave it a few minutes and they settle, is there a reason they do this? :L

They are shy creatures which prefer dim lighting and often rest in the day and feed at night. If you havn't provided them with anything to take cover under, then basically, you are scaring them senseless.

As it is a temporary tank, i dont have tons of hiding places as i wanted it to be easy to be able to find all the fish again when moving them, i do have something in there they can go inside and hide but they dont seem to bother with it :L

They are shy creatures which prefer dim lighting and often rest in the day and feed at night. If you havn't provided them with anything to take cover under, then basically, you are scaring them senseless.

My khulis seem to prefer tight fitting hidey holes, they have some PVC pipe that they rarely get inside of, how ever they spend a lot of time wrapped/ draped around a piece of timber I have which has some Jarva fern growing on, they also like getting into the base lip part of an artificial tree stump that is in the tank. They really hate it if I move the stump closer to the over head light because then the hidey hole is too well lit, so that might be another reason yours are not interested in their place of retreat.

Kuhlis need a hodgpodge of hiding spots and hidey holes if you ever expect to see them. The more places they have to hide, the more confident they feel in the open. Also, would it be possible for you to install LEDs? They could be moonlights. What I do is I have a timer on the LEDs and normal Light and the LEDs come on 5 minutes before the normal light for fish to adjust to the light. My kuhlis have no problem with the moonlights coming on and they're just fine when the normal light switches on :good:

hmnm, mine seem to hide up in the corner together draping over the heater, your idea of a night light timed to come on sounds really good, may try this when they're in there new 200L home :)

Kuhlis need a hodgpodge of hiding spots and hidey holes if you ever expect to see them. The more places they have to hide, the more confident they feel in the open. Also, would it be possible for you to install LEDs? They could be moonlights. What I do is I have a timer on the LEDs and normal Light and the LEDs come on 5 minutes before the normal light for fish to adjust to the light. My kuhlis have no problem with the moonlights coming on and they're just fine when the normal light switches on :good:

wooo Kuhlis!

Imagine being asleep and somone turning on your light but you have no eyelids...kinda what its like for them,

I use led lights 10 mins before putting main light on too =D

A jammed out Kuhli is a happy Kuhli

Most reactions

Back