Keeping Sand Clean

LiamC

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondered how many people here prefer sand over gravel, and how you keep your sand clean? I found this so difficult that in the end, I purchased some gravel and covered most of the sand with it. Also, I have an Algae Eater which lurks on the bottom of the tank, and he races round unsettling every piece of muck each time which is really annoying and doesn't do my water any favours.

When I set up my next tank, I think I will use gravel unless there is a good way of keeping sand clean.

i simply hold my syphon a few mm over the surface and then methodicaly "hoover" the muck away from the sand

Hello,

Just wondered how many people here prefer sand over gravel, and how you keep your sand clean? I found this so difficult that in the end, I purchased some gravel and covered most of the sand with it. Also, I have an Algae Eater which lurks on the bottom of the tank, and he races round unsettling every piece of muck each time which is really annoying and doesn't do my water any favours.

When I set up my next tank, I think I will use gravel unless there is a good way of keeping sand clean.
Get some MTS snails. They do an excellent job of turning over sand and eating leftover fish food nd veg. I rarely have to vac my sand.

Hi, just keep at it, I have a powerhead which moves the S*** into one area daily - siphon pipe close to the debris everytime but again you have to keep at it.

Looks good though with sand.

Paul

Most reactions

Back