Keeping My Bettas Warm.

KageBunshin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ever since I added a heater in my tank, my betta is healthy as ever. Im using a 7.5 watt Jr. heater, for my 2.5 gallon. The temperature stays a constant 85F. For those of you scared of frying your betta, or fluctuating temps, dont worry. This heater is pretty reliable. I also use 2 Mls black water extract, works miracles.

tank.jpg

betta2.jpg

Betta1.jpg

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: that is one beautiful fish....the tank is a lovely size as well. If he were mine (I wish he was) I would put him a little cave in so he can jump out at you and act tough, one of my boys has that weed and he rests his butt in the middle of it....what is black water extract? havent heard of that :good:

Blackwater extract naturally lowers ph, and softens water. Similar effects to the Indian Almond Leaf. Thanks for your kinds words. You can tell I spoil him with the best.

He is beautiful!!!! I would love to get a mini heater like that but I can only ever find a min 25watt one.

Just commenting on your temperature - 85F... and forgive me if you're an experienced betta keeper... but from what I've heard, that is quite warm for bettas (I know they love tropical waters... but 78-80 is usually the preferred optimum range.) I've also been told that anything warmer than 80-82F can help bacteria and diseases breed if they're exposed. Just a thought... just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Wow... What a handsome little guy! He looks very happy :nod:

He is beautiful!!!! I would love to get a mini heater like that but I can only ever find a min 25watt one.

Just commenting on your temperature - 85F... and forgive me if you're an experienced betta keeper... but from what I've heard, that is quite warm for bettas (I know they love tropical waters... but 78-80 is usually the preferred optimum range.) I've also been told that anything warmer than 80-82F can help bacteria and diseases breed if they're exposed. Just a thought... just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Ah. Thank for the heads up. However, I am from Vietnam (the part of the world where betta splendens comes from) ...and lets just say... You WISH Vietnam is 78-80 degrees all the time. Maybe in the winter, if you're lucky. Average temps are high 80s, to high 90s. Also, fancy bettas, like my halfmoon, have been selectively bred. This results in a loss of what they call "hybrid vigor." Thus, high temps are more optimal for fancy bettas. In this temprature, my betta is very active and has healthier fecal matter than my plakat in my unheated gallon jar. Also, he has some amazing bubble nests. :) Thanks for the comments!

i was looking for a small one too but i have a 9L tank for one of my boys and i have a 25W heater in there and its perfect :good: what size is your tank?

I was looking for a small one too but i have a 9L tank for one of my boys and i have a 25W heater in there and its perfect :good: what size is your tank?

My male is soon going into a 5 gallon (once it's cycled) - it has a 25watt heater which seems to be working out great. I'd like to get a 2.5 gallon for my female (not sure what that translates to in litres - I should b/c I'm Canadian... :blush: ) and was worried that a 25watt might be too strong.

Most reactions

Back