Keeping Cockatoos

spencer1

Reaction score
CAN I KEEP COCKATOO CICHLIDS WITH 4 CORYS .1 RED TAILD SHARK , 5 GLOW LIGHT TETRAS IN A 30 GALLON TANK (3FTLONG) IF SO HW MANY :beer:

1 male to 1 female as with nearly all Cichlids.

All apistogramma will work with a harem situation. Some do better than others as a pairs. Cockatoos, (A. cacatuoides) generally do better in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio and some with larger and/or densely planted tanks keep even more. Not to say they can't be kept as a pair, but with a more aggressive male, the aggression will be spread out. It also tends to work out better because one of the females will be receptive to him more of the time. This just makes of a more harmonious setup. As a general rule, females need at least one square foot of space with a cave, so in a 3 ft tank; 1 male and 2 or 3 females tends to work out well. Females can be very territorial too when they have eggs or fry so you can't try to squeeze in too many females either. In their natural environment, they live in extremely high densities and pair bonds tend to only last a short time.

If one has the space (and spencer1 does) 1:2 or perhaps 1:3 (if the tank is more thickly planted or has lots of cover) is what I would recommend.

[edit] I wanted to add that I have no idea how a RTS will get along with cockatoos, but other than that I think this will work for you. Don't expect successful breeding though, the corys will take care of any eggs.

Most reactions

Back